What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Length?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I just fitted an RAC G101 simple PTT Grip to the pilot's control stick. This adds about 1" to the length of the stick since the switch molding doesn't nest over the top of the steel tube. The stick doesn't now clear the bottom of the panel. I adjusted the elevator control rods slightly so that the stick doesn't hit the panel but I'd rather have the option of having it pass underneath if ever needed. That way I won't get in the way either when the stick is fully aft.

Has anyone else shortened the control stick to enable a stick grip to clear the panel?

Jim Sharkey

I cut off an inch to keep my knuckles from hitting the switches on the bottom of my panel. I would not want to cut too much more off as it makes the stick more sensitive and increases the control forces (not that they are that high).

I've cut off the stick in my -6 so many times I can't count. The latest was to clear a GPS-195 sticking down from the panel. No problems at all. With the exception of acro and pattern work, I have my arm resting on my thigh anyway. You don't need all that stick. Of course, I've also cut my flap handle off, and a lot of people say you can't do that. YMMV!

PS, I just went out and measured...The top of my stick clears the panel by 4".

Back