What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick length w/ throttle quadrant

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Did a search, but didn't find quite the answer I need...

I have the Classic Aero Aviator-style seats, and a throttle quadrant mounted to the panel. Control sticks as delivered will interfere with the quadrant.

I'll sit in the cockpit with the seat bottom in to see where my hand will fall to get stick length approximate, but is there anything else involved here? I don't really want to wait until I have the wings on to figure this out (i.e., max aileron travel), although I plan on putting the empennage on in a week or so to do some wiring/fiberglass finish work.

Just looking for tips from those with a similar set-up with the throttle quadrant, mostly...(worst that could happen is I cut it too short and have to order a new stick, I guess :))

TIA!

Steve

Steve - we had all sort of similar questions when laying out the RV-3 cockpit - nothing is stock, and we wanted to know where the stick would move. What we did was measure the travel of the aileron pushrod at the wing root (easy to do with the wings in the rack), then made a "false" pushrod to stick through the side of the fuselage and bolt to the bottom of the stick - moving it the measured amount told us how much the stick as going to move left and right. It turned out to be very accurate when we finally put the wings on.

Paul

That is a *great* solution, Paul...thanks for the tip!

(Now I just have to get to my wings, stored upstairs along with a gazillion other parts! LOL!)

Thanks...that should help tremendously..

Steve

Steve,

I cut 1 and 1/2 inch off my sticks.
Same setup (center Quadrant) with Infinity grips.

Wish I did NOT.

They will work fine. The copilot sticks hits in
dry run but will not in actual.
There is another thread somewhere on the site.

Hope it helps.

Back