What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Handle

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
Alright guys, need a little advice here.......I have a wooden stick handle with a PTT switch in the center. Is there any way to add an autopilot disconnect switch to it or should I just use the PTT for the A/P disc. and use my panel mounted PTT's? I would like to have both on the stick if possible. Also, should I consider replacing the wooden one with somehing else?

I have no idea what your A/P requires in the way of a disconnect circuit, but if it is like my TruTrak, it only needs one wire switched to ground.

Your PTT already has a ground wire on one side of the switch---------so, it is possible you only need to run one wire and add one switch to the stick. Just share the ground wire if your A/P is of the correct design..............

TruTrak

Mike, thanks again for the advice. The A/P will be a TruTrak IIVS, so it has the setup you describe. That sounds doable. Thanks amigo.

I have no idea what your A/P requires in the way of a disconnect circuit, but if it is like my TruTrak, it only needs one wire switched to ground.

Your PTT already has a ground wire on one side of the switch---------so, it is possible you only need to run one wire and add one switch to the stick. Just share the ground wire if your A/P is of the correct design..............

Look at pin 3 in the manual.

It appears to be to GRD to support what Mike said.

So it should work....

They call it CWS - control wheel streering. I have a separte switch, but when i hit it momentarily my A/P disconnects.

Thanks SmilinJack...........seems like I have a good plan. Thanks again guys.

Look at pin 3 in the manual.

It appears to be to GRD to support what Mike said.

So it should work....

They call it CWS - control wheel streering. I have a separte switch, but when i hit it momentarily my A/P disconnects.

Jim,
I used a common stick ground in my installation. Call me. The AP parts are out and available as of yesterday.

I have the same grip and when I added my autopilot I simply drilled a small hole in the trigger position, a slightly larger one 1/2 way through the grip, and inserted a micro switch I bought from McMaster-Carr. (Don't drill any holes until you receive the switch so you know the correct size.)

I can't remember the size I used because I bought two different sizes and used the one I felt would work best. 300 Hours and no problems.

Last edited:
Just another option.....I elected to put 2 push momentary switches on the panel. One for the roll A/P and one for the pitch A/P. I like the option of just turning on one A/P at a time, sometimes I just go with the hold altitude-pitch A/P. Also, less wires to run up the stick and it doesn't tire me out to reach the extra 6" to the panel to push a switch. Har Har The push switches are either side of my power switch to the A/P.

Jim
RV9A

Jimbo,
Abbygirl1 is buying my Trutrak Digiflight IIVS. I might have missed it, but I did not see a method to wire in separate pushbuttons to activate the roll and pitch independently.

I liked the TT AP. It rides and tracks nice at the stock settings from the manual.

I am upgrading to GPSS via the GRT systems I already have in the plane (which means its essentially free). At the time I installed the EFIS, the GRT APs did not exist. They DO have the independant roll and pitch pushbutton capability although I have not decided whether to wire it that way.

Back