What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Grips

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Just curious about stick grips. I know bicycle grips work well, but how is the PTT button secured? If anyone has a good source for grips, i would like to know. pictures are helpful too. Thanks

Lots of Choices

"Store-bought" grips with internal switches and buttons can be bought from sources like Ray Allen or Infinity. The former offers a single button PTT on the low end and the latter offers enough buttons on their sticks to just about run the entire aircraft-A/P disconnect, 2 or 3 axis trim, Xponder ident, etc, etc. For the passenger stick, many builders do just what you suggest - use soft foam bike grips with a plastic cap from ACO. Many prefer the pax stick to be easily removable, using quick disconnect pins to lock and unlock it in place. In these cases, it's good to have a momentary (PTT) switch mounted on the IP for passenger use. These switches are available at AC Spruce and most electronic stores.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Hit up Aviation Depot or Lowes Aero and in the hardware section drawers you should find the metal end caps. Select the proper size for your stick then mount a simple push button in the center of the cap. Mount it in the top of the stick prior to pulling the grip over top (put a hole in the top for the button first).

I looked at what was available in terms of true aviation grips and one issue is that the size of the sticks in the RV-12 are apparently a bit smaller than many other sticks. I had trouble finding true aviation grips in the right size.

Good bicycle grips work well and you do not have to do anything special for the end caps. Just find a set that has snap-in, plastic caps on them. Any good bicycle shop will have them. You can then drill the plastic cap for the PTT switches and they are simply secured with a nut and washer.

I used these Serfas grips and have been very happy with them so far:

http://bgindy.com/product/serfas-connectors-grips-62153-1.htm

As an aside- there is a very simple method to install them nicely outlined in a prior issue of the RVator- involves using compressed air blown in from the bottom to create an air cushion between the grip and the stick. They slide right on without the need for soapy water or any other messy method.

Jeff

Get the simple one push button grip from RayAllen. The pilot side mic side pushbutton supplied by Van's is failing on my RV-12 after 85 hours and will replace it during the first condition inspection.

Bought two of them at OSH, was impressed with the quality.

Bicycle Shop

I bought mine a a local bicycle shop and followed the recommendations to fitt the PTTs. The compressed air trick REALLY works

Wayne 120241

If you're building a 10 you probably want more than one function on your grips. You're probably also looking for some aesthetics. If so, I'd suggest the Ray Allens or Tosten grips.

The PTT switches are supplied, the grips are not. Bikegrips works o.k.
The straight upper part is relative short so most bikegrips follow the bend but I'm not sure if that works out with the G101 Ray Allen grips.

Page 31-11 rev 1

32-05%20step5.JPG

31-11.pdf

Back