What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grip height vs. panel

andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I am assuming that I cut my stick so that the grip just clears the panel? I have the standard vans panel plus a 1 1/2" lower sub panel, for cables and switches, made from Van's shipping channel.

Thanks!

I left finger clearance

I left an inch or so between the highest point on the stick and the bottom of the panel, in case I had my thumb or finger on a button.

Like the rest of the plane, I figured Van's might actually know something about the correct length of the sticks. So, the top of my wood grips comes to the same height as the uncut stick. This required the stick lenght be reduced by about 2.5", if memory serves.

This seems to work out very fine. In flight I hold the stick down low but upon landing, I hold it at the grip. This helps keep me from over controlling the plane as it takes more movement to defelect a control surface.

Van has written about this before, check the back issues of the RVator.

Like the rest of the plane, I figured Van's might actually know something about the correct length of the sticks. So, the top of my wood grips comes to the same height as the uncut stick. This required the stick lenght be reduced by about 2.5", if memory serves.

This seems to work out very fine. In flight I hold the stick down low but upon landing, I hold it at the grip. This helps keep me from over controlling the plane as it takes more movement to defelect a control surface.

Van has written about this before, check the back issues of the RVator.

That's an excellent tip! I'll have to remember to try that next time someone lets me fly with them. :)

Sub panel

Hey Andrew, could you post a copy of your subpanel installation? I'm in the middle of designing my panel and my preferred layout does not seem to have enough height....:(

PS. My sticks clear the Affodable Panels sub-panel. Actually, they don't move that far forward with the contorls connected.

pics of the sub panel

Note: all holes are not drilled in sub-panel yet. Sub panel comes flush to bottom of eyeball vent plate. It is made from the "U" channel that Vans ships with the plane to keep the cockpit from collapsing.

Here are the pics as requested. I made some plates to hold the eyeball vents I got from Steinair. The sub panel is screwed to these plates with 2 screws at each end. I was thinking of making a segmented panel too. If I do that then I will install a vertical member from the sub panel to the top skin as a framework for the removable section. I was thinking of having the left side semi permanent and the right side removable or both sides removable...we'll see.

See the kitchen in the background of the sub-panel pic? I now know that making kitchens is way easier than making planes!!!

I thought that the 7/7A and 9/9A fuselages were almost identical? With the elevator pushrods installed my sticks come no where near the panel. As a matter of fact, the sicks hit the floor ribs long before the sticks reach the panel.

sept2023014ih0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought that the 7/7A and 9/9A fuselages were almost identical? With the elevator pushrods installed my sticks come no where near the panel. As a matter of fact, the sicks hit the floor ribs long before the sticks reach the panel.

Perhaps an important difference is in the elevator linkage geometry. The empennage is different between the two models, after all.

Back