What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grip clearance?

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
How much clearance should I have between my control sticks and the bottom of the panel. I have an aftermarket panel and it comes down farther that the stock one so I need to cut the sticks off some.
Thanks in advance!

Charles, I think the stick needs to be free & clear of everything in all positions.
What I would recommend is that you have your controls hooked up to all control surfaces & properly adjusted before you start cutting on the stick.

Last edited:
Just because your panel extends lower than stock doesn't mean your stick will hit it. Regardless, don't cut anything until you've rigged the elevator and stops. You probably not have an issue, then it's a matter of height preference

Just because your panel extends lower than stock doesn't mean your stick will hit it. Regardless, don't cut anything until you've rigged the elevator and stops. You probably not have an issue, then it's a matter of height preference

Exactly the right answer!

I have an Affordable Panels panel with switch sub-panel and my stick hit it until everything was connected. You want to leave the sticks as long as you can. Van wrote an article on this subject some time back, maybe someone can dig it up.

I also agree to leave the stick as long as possible, once the panel is done you can install the seats and install the grips and check the clearances with your hand on the grip. Anything else is just a guess.

.... the stick needs to be free & clear of everything in all positions.
What I would recommend is that you have your controls hooked up to all control surfaces & properly adjusted before you start cutting on the stick.

I'll second that. You also need to know your seating position with seat cushions in place. A common trouble spot for clearance is with the stick full forward and starboard, and with the throttle all the way back. Admittedly the chances of flying with the controls in those positions are dang slim, but many DARs reject any interference there regardless.

When you get to the point of setting the height, make sure that if you have a hat switch or push buttons on the top of the stick, that clearance takes into account your thumb being up there as well, with generous margin.

Thanks everyone, I have the Affordable Panel and the stick hits. I have held off cutting it for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. I had the wings on and everything rigged but do not remember if the panel was in it then. I am going to wait till everything is together again and study it again.

Go ahead and wire the stick grip. Later on, after it is rigged, if you find you need to trim it, use a pipe cutter. Then when the section is cut and hanging by the wires use some tin snips to cut the ring vertically.

I seem to remember cutting mine down about an inch, maybe two. This brought the top of the teak grip to the height of the stick without a grip.

Back