What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Boots

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Installed the Flightline stick boots yesterday. Less than 5 minutes and a perfect fit! Now no worries about dropping something into those gaping holes while bouncing around in turbulence.

Wayne 120241

That reminded me that I had not yet ordered mine. Went to the web site, according to it they don't make anything for RV12's. Sent them an emal.

As the instigator of the stick boots ;) :

031dg.jpg

018fm.jpg

As the instigator of the stick boots ;) :

Jerry, a chance we could get a better picture of the seat back support on passenger side?

We made an extended seat support to bring the backrest forwards (one of the clan is shorter than we other two). It's still under development but I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them in the RV-12 'mods' section.

The corner of the gas (we say 'petrol'...!) tank is fitted with a direct reading mechanical fuel gauge. This was a Rochester unit bought from Aircraft Spruce but similar to the Moeller type. I had to cut a hole in Flightline Abby's beautifully fitting carpet so made it look neater by modifying a car (automobile..!) road tax disc holder. Pictures will be taken tomorrow.

Not wishing to drift the thread too much but we're also working on some aluminium (aluminum ;) ) bolt on 3" rudder peadal extensions. You lot in the States have obviously got ridiculously long legs if you can comfortably get full rudder without the aid of cushions! Again, more details to follow when we've finished the design.

I have incredibly SHORT legs, and installed another hinge half several inches forward of the plans two. This enabled me to reach the rudder pedals easily enough, but now I lean back of course, but so far just sitting in it in the garage, it seems that it may be more comfortable that way to me, but my passenger probably needs what you built on your passenger seat.

We made an extended seat support to bring the backrest forwards (one of the clan is shorter than we other two). It's still under development but I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them in the RV-12 'mods' section.

The corner of the gas (we say 'petrol'...!) tank is fitted with a direct reading mechanical fuel gauge. This was a Rochester unit bought from Aircraft Spruce but similar to the Moeller type. I had to cut a hole in Flightline Abby's beautifully fitting carpet so made it look neater by modifying a car (automobile..!) road tax disc holder. Pictures will be taken tomorrow.

Not wishing to drift the thread too much but we're also working on some aluminium (aluminum ;) ) bolt on 3" rudder peadal extensions. You lot in the States have obviously got ridiculously long legs if you can comfortably get full rudder without the aid of cushions! Again, more details to follow when we've finished the design.

Planned to install the stick boots today after a breakfast flight to LZU. Very nice looking, but find they are a tight fit when movings stick full travel. ie; moving the sticks from side to side tend to bunch up the fabric somewhat restricting travel.This occurs a little on aileron control movement but is a bit worse on full pitch moves. Reason appears to be the mounting plate has too little clearance at floor. The good news is normally such extreme moves are rare. Was considering shaving a bit off the bottom of the mounting pad to eliminate the pitch clearance issue. Anyone else notice this feature, and if so what did you do to remedy, or am I over thinking this? (I tend to be intolerant of anything that impedes free stick action). Thanks.
Dick Seiders

FWIW. I discussed with Abby at Flightline and she said they will reduce The outside dimensions of the mounting plate to eliminate the restriction. I don't know for certain yet, but I believe that will take care of the issue.
Dick Seiders

I have never flown the 12 without the stick boots but I haven't found them restrictive at all in flight.

They're certainly less restrictive than dropping a pen through the hole and into the works.... :eek:

A bit of a close up shot:

fuji051211015.jpg

PS Requested pictures of our tank mechanical gauge and seat back extender now in the RV-12 mod section.

Last edited:
Stick boots installed...

Planned to install the stick boots today after a breakfast flight to LZU. Very nice looking, but find they are a tight fit when movings stick full travel. ie; moving the sticks from side to side tend to bunch up the fabric somewhat restricting travel.This occurs a little on aileron control movement but is a bit worse on full pitch moves. Reason appears to be the mounting plate has too little clearance at floor. The good news is normally such extreme moves are rare. Was considering shaving a bit off the bottom of the mounting pad to eliminate the pitch clearance issue. Anyone else notice this feature, and if so what did you do to remedy, or am I over thinking this? (I tend to be intolerant of anything that impedes free stick action). Thanks.
Dick Seiders

Received my stick boots about a week ago and installed them with no issues. I don't find the interference that Dick mentions, so Flightline Interiors must have taken care of that issue.

I like em! Finishes off the interior nicely and as mentioned before will prevent anything going into the holes.
P1020102-XL.jpg

Tony

Back