What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick boot

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
I have an old RV-4 first flew in 1990. The boot for the front stick is about shot. It is made from thin leather. I need to make a new one or buy a new one. Any suggestions?

Are there any patterns out there for a stick boot if you wanted to do it yourself?

A good question. I'm not much of a seamstress but I have a heavy duty sewing machine that will sew thin leather.

Stan,
Your are half way there. You have the machine.

Take old boot apart and make patterns.
IIRC there are patterns out there,d but don’t know where.

Also go to Joann‘s fabric for material.
Don’t forget the zipper and make them tall.

Boomer

It's in tatters and doesn't have a zipper. I going to take a look at the one on the rear stick to see if it is the same size.

Stick boot.

It's in tatters and doesn't have a zipper. I going to take a look at the one on the rear stick to see if it is the same size.

The one in the back is probably not the same size but maybe you could use it to get an idea of what you need to do.

I took a piece of light posterboard (nearly paper thickness) and folded it around the stick. Then, with that as a rough pattern, I took a piece of thick cloth and made a pattern with a lot of room to fudge folding it and sticking it on to the base and the stick. I took some Naugahyde and made one up from that pattern. It is folded around and held in place on the stick with a hose clamp. The open edges were sewn together by hand with my leather sewing awl. I sewed the visible edges with the sewing machine. It has been trouble- free for decades. I am currently making one for the back stick in a similar fashion. Easy and cheap. You can sort of see it in this picture. It is held in place by one small screw in each corner and Velcro along the edges.

If they still make it, the toughest Naugahyde-type material is Cat Skin, which is what they make Cat caterpillar seats out of. I made my bungie cord covers on the Cub out of it and they are subject to a nasty, oily environment. I made them in 1982 and they are still on there. You don't need something that tough. Whatever they sell at JoAnne's is probably OK. Last time I checked there, they did have a fire-resistant type....

I looked up one of the pre-made ones: $145.......:eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Just a thought.....

Attachments

• img693r.jpg
    img693r.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Better idea

Auto shift stick boot.

$10-20

Attachments

• IMG_0691.png
    IMG_0691.png
    758.8 KB · Views: 152
Note that most of the aftermarket automobile shift boots are made in one piece and are intended to be installed over a small (@ .6 inch dia) shifter actuator rod -- there is typically no side zipper or velcro to facilitate installation over a large-diameter control stick. The boots can be modified but it might be easier to just build your own.

Check base dimensions

Check the base dimensions. Looks like only 5x5" (10" from corner to diagonal opposite corner). Too small for my RV-4. And you'll have to add a zipper depending on your stick grip.

Still, could be modified to work. Great idea.

Finn

Check the base dimensions. Looks like only 5x5" (10" from corner to diagonal opposite corner). Too small for my RV-4. And you'll have to add a zipper depending on your stick grip.

Still, could be modified to work. Great idea.

Finn

It should be here tomorrow. I plan on using some velcro instead of a zipper.

It should be here tomorrow. I plan on using some velcro instead of a zipper.

My closures are Velcro. There is also a pocket sewed into the top that allows you to put a tie wrap through and tighten the top against the stick. Velcro also secures the bottom “sides” to the seat pan.

There is a bit more going on than just wrapping some leather around.

I got the Amazon boot. Look pretty nice for the price and I could probably make it work. I've been using it as a 3-D model thinking about making my own. The ebay boot looks good but doesn't have dimensions. I messaged him. If It fits I will go with that. (edit) Found the dimensions in the description, not quite the same.

Last edited:
I ended up making my own. Less than $10 for two. From Hobby Lobby 2 5" YKK Zippers, a roll of nylon upholstery thread and about a linear foot of Naugahyde type material. I made a template to cut the boot out of a single piece of material so that the only seam is in the front where the zipper goes to minimize sewing. The opening for the boot is 4 5/8" x 6" at the bottom and about 1 1/4" at the top. Most of the effort was in figuring out the pattern. Someone skilled in origami would have no problem making a three dimensional shape out of two dimensional material. I have the pattern if anyone is interested.

Back