What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stewart warner fuel sending unit

ditch

Well Known Member
I am about to seal in the fuel sending unit on my tank. Bought the stewart warner float type from vans but was wondering if I should up grade or do these things work fine. They feel pretty cheap. Also I'm not very good when it comes to electronic stuff so bear with me. I assume there is one wire off the center screw and fuel guage connects between the line and goes to ground. Whats the easiest way to test it before I put it in. I am guessing to use an amp meter but where do you touch the probes? One on the center screw and one on tank? I feel like an idiot with such a simple task but that's the way it is.
Also, sealing it in, do you put proseal on both sides of rubber gasket or none at all, just bear gasket? How about the center screw on fending unit, is it already sealed with that little cork gasket? Just want to make sure everything that needs it gets it and vise versa. Thanks guys.

Fuel Sending Unit Installation

Put your volt/ohmeter onto a resistance setting and attach the leads as you described. The steel mounting plate of the sending unit is the ground, and that will ground to the tank after it's installed on the fuel tank. Anyway, as you move the arm up and down, you should see the ohm reading change. I believe the ohm reading limits are in the instructions that came with the SW unit.

If you haven't sealed up your tank's rear baffle yet, you can install the fuel sending unit and watch it through its range of motion to make sure it doesn't rub on the top or bottom of the tank. If you followed the instructions for bending the rod for the model RV you have, you should be okay.

As far as sealing that puppy up, the smaller rubber gasket should do just fine on its own. On the mounting plate, some people use just the cork gasket between the tank and the plate, some leave out the cork gasket and just use ProSeal, some smear both sides of the cork gasket with ProSeal, and some have used a neoprene gasket instead. There are pros and cons to each method.

The cork won't last forever, but it does make dissassembly easier down the road if there's no ProSeal involved. Just keep in mind that after the wing is installed, it's a booger to access that cover. It can be done, but it's a little awkward. However, some people have had sealing issues without the ProSeal, so it's a judgement call.

As far as the center screw is concerned, I don't remember sealing it with anything.

Socket head cap screws...

The cork won't last forever, but it does make dissassembly easier down the road if there's no ProSeal involved. Just keep in mind that after the wing is installed, it's a booger to access that cover. It can be done, but it's a little awkward. However, some people have had sealing issues without the ProSeal, so it's a judgement call.

As far as the center screw is concerned, I don't remember sealing it with anything.

...will make a future disassembly with the tanks on easier that the Phillips head screws specified....

Thanks Dave. Thats the info I needed. And Gil, glad you let me in on that little secret. I will definately do that. Screw heads are nothing but a pain, best if you can avoid them.

Back