What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps

Capflyer

Well Known Member
Just wondering what those that have gone before me have done to prepare the steps that has worked? I do not plan on painting the plane for a while and want to be sure that whatever I do to prepare them accomplishes three things. First to provide protection from rust. Second to not hamper a future paint job, and three to be able to paint them some color now. Any thoughts?

I followed Walter's lead and had them powder-coated. I chose a matt black finish so they would blend into whatever future paint job I end up with. I found a shop locally that does huge power coating jobs. They threw the steps into one of their other batches for a reasonable fee.

I kept the painting simple

I also intend to have my plane professionally painted after it's been flying for a while - which is a year or 2 away, so I also wanted rust protection and something that was easy to re-do in the future. I cleaned the metal with a phosphoric acid product prior to painting. I primed the whole thing with Rustoleum clean metal primer and painted the exterior with regular Rustoleum. I removed the primer from the back of the plate that mates to the skin and used Pro-Seal between the plate and the skin. I also Pro-sealed an 032" doubler plate on the inside of the skin. In the course of cleaning up the Pro-Seal, I discovered the MEK works wonders on removing Rustoleum.

Back