What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

steps

jjet

Putting steps in quickbuild 7A. Cannot get trailing lower edge closer to fuselage than a bit over 1/4"! Have trimmed aft edge and enlarged holes, but fuselage tapers away based on where pre drilled pilot holes for step from factory are places. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I don't think it to be a big deal and am contemplating fiberglassing just for appearance and seal.
jeff

A little friendly persuasion can go a long way!

Put that sucker in a vice. Get a big hammer. Go to town. You can bend that steal to fit the curve pretty good with a little persuasion.

If the tubes are bottomed out against the baggage floor rib it may be necessary to shorten them a little bit. Just be sure that's the real cause. I was lucky and it wasn't a problem but others have had issues.

Agree with other comments, get it to fit the best as possible. Many folks have gaps under the lower flange of the step (but 1/4 is pretty big). I had about a 1/16 gap that I filled with pro-seal.

Best,
Jamie

steps... maybe leave them out?

Me personally, I left them out. I did make my baggage floor removable (nutplates) so I can reverse the decision. But thus far, rolling up onto the wing with your knee (with the flaps down, of course), and hopping off (ditto the flaps down) while arresting your crash by bracing against the upper fuse, has been no problem for me or my wife. And we ain't young, not by a long shot. Besides, it looks better and flys perhaps 1.23654789 kt faster (?).
But just .02 worth.
Regards,
Len

Back