What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps

tomcostanza

Well Known Member
I'm about to drill the steps for attachment to the fuse. The instructions say to be sure to run a row of rivets through the flange of F-724 vertical rib. What have you done about the skin-to-F724 rivets and spacing between those existing rivets and the new rivets for the steps?

TIA,

Do the best you can

Tom,
I went out and looked at what I had done. I was able to use one existing rivet hole in the vertical rib. Just drill it out and flatten the remains of the dimple. The others landed between the rib rivets. Some were pretty close to the 3/32 rivets but it worked out ok. Be sure and measure twice and drill once, so you won't drill to close to an existing rivet.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
Here's what I did

Here's what I did: Leave the existing skin-to-F-724 rivets there. Locate the new rivets (step flange to skin to F-724) so that you don't violate hole spacing to the existing rivets. Rule of thumb is 3 hole diameters, center to center. So I ended up putting only four evenly-spaced rivets in that column instead of five, which works out well spacing-wise.

http://www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/cabinsteps.htm
See 2006.09.30 entry.

Good luck!

Drawings

Don't use Van's drawing as a template!! The "Full Scale" drawing is too big!
Read the measurements and then measure the drawing. I printed the drawing on my laser printer and had to reduce it down to match scale. I'm just glad I didn't tape it to the fuse, square the drawing and start drilling. :eek:

Last edited:
Slap some proseal

Between the step plate and the fuse. You may get rust stains from under the step plate over your paint job otherwise.

Oh yeah and I used C/S rivets

Frank

Back