What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps

Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm about ready to permanantly attach my steps, but before I do I would like to know if I should put anything like RTV in between the step flange and the side skin to help keep moisture from seeping between the two. The steps are powder coated and I was planning on priming the associated area on the side skin. Any suggestions are welcome...

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Just riveted mine on last weekend

I used some RTV on mine. Applied (on the rear of the plate) vertically on both sides and horizontally along the top. I didn't apply any along the bottom because of the gaps. I plan on filling the bottom gaps with proseal or another paintable filler.

I cleaned the RTV residue that remained after riveting several time with acetone. I wanted a very clean surface for final painting at a later date.

I used AN426 (flush) rivets and didn't have to use any cherry max's. I did have to grind my own bucking bar to get to a few of the rivets.

Paul
RV-7A (finishing kit)

Last edited:
Pro-seal

I used generous amounts of proseal between the skin and step. I also put a doubler plate on the inside with proseal between the skin and doubler. Yes, it was a very messy and isn't very pretty on the inside, but no one will ever see it. My technical advisor (my brother and aviation professional with 500+ hours on his RV-7A) has convinced me that Proseal is my friend.

Last edited:
Proseal

I didn't put anything behind the step flange and as I was wet sanding the primer i got rust stains running from behind the step...Lovely...NOT!

So I masked a 1/8th gap around the flange and on the flange itself. I daubed a thin line of proseal in the line and peeled up the tape while still wet...Worked perfectly but it would have been much easier to put proseal behind the step flange.

Frank

Proseal, not RTV! RTV creates/traps water when it dries, I wouldn't use it on any enclosed aluminum surface, asking for corrosion IMHO. Proseal everything :). I've worked with certified airplanes alot, and all we use is pro-seal, except for stuff like baffles. When it's exposed like baffles, rtv works ok.

Back