What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

steps

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Is my case a fluke or are the steps that come in the kit (installed in section 30) really ugly? The welds that are supposed to be flush with the skin look like a mess to me. I don't think there's any way to install these steps that will look good where they meet the skin. Any suggestions?

Build on, they are all like this. One painted you'll never notice. Be sure to sand prime , even with Rattle can primer. You can sand off when you paint but will rust before then otherwise. After you paint you run a bead of proseal around the intersection with the fuselage to hide the gap.

I don't doubt that. Wasn't there some concern about brittleness after the steps were chromed?

I don't have a clue, mine are painted.

I know the gentleman that chromed his also put access doors in the baggage compartment to make it easier to remove the bolt holding them in place. Worse case, you just replace them a little more frequently.

I don't see an issue as long as they are part a routine inspection, both pre-flight and conditional. Which everyone should do anyways, since they have a history of cracking.

I am a big Harley Davidson fan so the answer is usually the more chrome the better. But that being said, for the steps on a -10 chroming makes them stick out to me as opposed to being painted to match which lets them blend in a little better. Just from a design/streamline look I think the chrome ones take away from a beautiful paint job. Just my two cents.

Step insert

Joe.
Yes the welds are marginal looking but I would suggest not to grind or sand any material to make them look better because that could compromise strength. Also, maybe you already have, but suggest buying the TCW step insert and upsize the bolt by on size will secure the step long term.

Thanks

Joe.
Yes the welds are marginal looking but I would suggest not to grind or sand any material to make them look better because that could compromise strength. Also, maybe you already have, but suggest buying the TCW step insert and upsize the bolt by on size will secure the step long term.

Thanks. I got the TCW inserts. Just installed them today. I wish I could say I'm happy with how these steps look, but I'm just not. Hopefully, I'll forget all about these steps once the airplane is painted and I can actually fly it. For now, all I can do is look at it and see all the builder induced imperfections (BII).

I chromed mine, and they are holding up great. The ugly weld will disappear into the painted area. I didn't bother with an access door, but I did use a close tolerance bolt to snug it up. I also sanded out the inside of the tube, and liberally applied Boeshield T9.

John

I wish I could say I'm happy with how these steps look, but I'm just not

Don't worry, you can't see them in cruise at 175kts.
I am sure you'll be happy then ;)

I have inserts for the tube and access to remove and replace or repair them if they ever crack on me.

Don't worry, you can't see them in cruise at 175kts.
I am sure you'll be happy then ;)

I have inserts for the tube and access to remove and replace or repair them if they ever crack on me.

I had a welder look over the welds with the intention of adding more material inside the tube so I could flush the outside. Instead, he 'prettied up' the outside and then, once powder coated, they looked great. I think the weld pattern actually adds to the look. A machinist friend did anti-crush inserts of nylon for me to go at the bolt points and, at the same time, did a drill guide that made easy work of drilling straight and centered through the tube while it was in place.

The drill guide in action.

Add a drawer pull to cabin top for hand hold to help keep the step load down. Ask your passengers to step lightly. Use a wooden step at all times inside the hangar and for passenger loading if possible. I sealed with proseal before paint. At 225 lbs, 135 hrs and have not broke or loosened them. I only cruise at 150-160 ktas, but still can't see those welds.

There were plenty of examples of failed step welds so when the time came when I needed to install mine I beefed up all the welds with a TIG welder. I like Wayne's idea of using a crush insert. I already have a little movement in the steps and am contemplating removing the steps and adding them in. I drilled pilot location holes when I installed the steps so it would be an easy job to do. Can't bear the thought of adding outside handles though.

Back