What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps on a taildragger 9?

Loman

Well Known Member
I saw somewhere that the RV-9 and 9A sit higher on their undercarraige than the 6 or 7 (or the 8 - in whose model-specific forum there is a discussion on this topic at present). I have only flown in a RV-6 so far and it has no step fitted. There was certainly no problem in stepping up onto the wing walk area. I'm building a 9 and I had no intention of fitting a step but if it is significantly higher then maybe I should reconsider - I won't always be young and athletic:rolleyes:

Have any of you guys with RV-9s flying or sitting on their gear got an opinion on this? Would someone have the time to measure the height off the ground of the aft edge of the wing top surface, forward of the flap?

Loman
RV-9 Emp finished, wings en route

Just did this. Dad just got the -9 on gear. It sits 3.5 inches higher at the firewall than the RV-7. We're putting the steps on the -9. (It started as a trigear kit and the steps are already drilled anyway.) The -7 doesn't have steps.

We're not speed freaks and the 3-4 mph that steps may cost really doesn't matter. My kids (2 and 5) and my dad (60) will be able to climb in easier - and maybe not step on the flap.

Just did this. Dad just got the -9 on gear. It sits 3.5 inches higher at the firewall than the RV-7. We're putting the steps on the -9. (It started as a trigear kit and the steps are already drilled anyway.) The -7 doesn't have steps.

We're not speed freaks and the 3-4 mph that steps may cost really doesn't matter. My kids (2 and 5) and my dad (60) will be able to climb in easier - and maybe not step on the flap.

Take this advise with a grain of salt. The Rhodes family has a history of building plastic airplanes. ;-)

Honestly, my -6 doesn't have steps and anytime I fly a passenger who isn't in good shape and 5'10" or greater, it is something of a challenge for them to climb up onto the wing of the aircraft. My dad is 73 and really struggles with the big step up onto the wing and off the wing. Kids have the same problems.

If that last MPH or two isn't your holy grail, steps are worth considering.

Put them on.

I do not have them on my -9 and older friends have a very difficult time getting up over the flaps and on to the wing.

If I were building again, I would install them.

As pointed out, this is not a -6 (very low) or a -7 (lower). They are not required but I'm thinking in another 10 years I'm going to wish I had them.

Put them on.

I do not have them on my -9 and older friends have a very difficult time getting up over the flaps and on to the wing.

Getting down is even worse!

I've been tempted to put a step on the passenger side of my RV-6 for the comfort/safety of less than athletic passengers.

This has been discussed before, but I have steps on my RV-9 and would highly recommend them. Not only is the RV9 higher the flaps don't drop out of the way like on the rest of the side by side RV's. They pivot back and not as far down. I have found it's easier to get in and out of the plane with the flaps up also, both as a 9A and a 9.

Cam

Consider mounting them with screws & platenuts

I have an RV-6A which is lower than an RV-9. When I built it I installed the steps with the rivets as specified. The steps have performed their function very well for four years of flying and some years of building before that. I am interested in getting the last bit of speed out of the airplane and I am considering drilling out the rivets, countersinking the holes in the steel mounting plate, installing platenuts in the fuselage and remounting the steps with flathead screws. I fly in some cross country air races and my thought is to remove the steps and install a cover plate for that activity only. If I get 1 full knot speed increase I would be very pleasantly surprised. My current configuration benchmark at 6,000 ft density altitude is 181.3 kts.

Bob Axsom

Back