What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps for RV-7A

flyty

I'm New Here
Hi everyone,

I'm building an RV7A Slider and I was wondering if the external steps are a necessity for jumping up onto the wing and into the canopy. I am familiar with an RV10, which I would say they are definitely needed - however, I am fairly young and am able to make it up without using them. How big of a step would it be without the steps in place on an RV7A? Any experience is most welcome. Thanks

steps for the A models

I installed the steps (both sides) on my -9A fuselage.

Glad I did. Its a big step up to the wing.

I think the -7A & -9A are similar heights.

Maybe if you are young and have long legs....

I'm old with short legs....

Dave

Go ahead and install the steps

Hi everyone,

I'm building an RV7A Slider and I was wondering if the external steps are a necessity for jumping up onto the wing and into the canopy. I am familiar with an RV10, which I would say they are definitely needed - however, I am fairly young and am able to make it up without using them. How big of a step would it be without the steps in place on an RV7A? Any experience is most welcome. Thanks

I think you need them. You can get up there without them but it's a stretch.
And if you plan to give people rides you'll really need them in my opinion.

Mark

install the steps

I took a yardstick out to the hangar and measured a 29 inch step up to the wing on my RV7a. You young long legged fellows might be able to take that step, but not us old short legged old f#$ts.

Thanks for the measurement! Sounds like I better put some steps on - if I want to have passengers!

RV-7/9 Steps

They are not considered necessary on a taildragger 7 or 9, but if a builder decides to add them , they can be added during construction. However, if one decides to add them after the fuselage is complete, it's a difficult but not impossible task.

Most folks who build the non-A 7/9's don't install the step(s).

To answer your questions...necessary? no
........................................helpful? yes, but only if you and or your passengers have difficulties raising their legs.

My -7 (I'm not to the fuselage yet) will NOT have steps.

Hope this helps.

RV-7A

I don't have them on my RV-7A, and it hasn't been a big issue. If I was to do it over again I would have added them. Probably in 20 years when my "mono ab" is larger, and my joints are worn it will be a nessity:)

And for those occasional times....

...when you have a 5' lady in a skirt? Her modesty goes out the window.

You won't even notice the teensy airspeed hit either.

Best,

I agree with Pierre, even beyond the tiny lady. Any passenger who is not a builder or pilot is likely to step on the flap when trying to get up onto that wing. If only to save your flap, I suggest you install a step for the one time (which, of course, you will not know at the time) when a passenger would have stepped on your flap and made a mess.

greg

to install or not?

I saw a couple of people who did not have a step and carried a short plastic step which they used to climb aboard and then lofted up with a string. Anybody have comments on this approach? They were A models (6&7)

I saw a couple of people who did not have a step and carried a short plastic step which they used to climb aboard and then lofted up with a string. Anybody have comments on this approach? They were A models (6&7)

Whatever works but seems like a less than good solution.

Yes............it would drive me nuts!!!

I just can't imagine reaching in the baggage compartment to pull out a step-------assuming I somehow got to the baggage compartment without a step to begin with...............and then pulling it up over the wing and by the canopy without scratching anything.............then over the passengers head, while squeezing it between both our heads, and then twist it properly to fit back into the baggage compartment without farther damage...

Whew------it's painful thinking about it... :eek:

L.Adamson ---- RV6A with two steps. It's still fast...

Back