What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step tube too long....

ncarmon

Ok, I'm assuming that since the step tube is .2 in too long to get the flange flush on the fuselage side that I need to cut this tube down....

Anyone else encounter this? Just cut and go?

Thanks...

no

did mine 6 months ago. if its what i think, you are talking about the tube the goes into the delrin block?
It takes some fitting, and ensuring the hole in the fues is correct as a very small twist throws it all out.
I found it a tight fit, but it seems the tube sinks into the delrin a little. i cleaned up the edges but there was no cutting needed. Tight but correct.
ymmv.

Yup...

Yes, the tube that goes into the Delrin block. It is .2 in too long and the flange on the step outside sits .2 inches away from the fuselage. I'm assuming that I will need to trim the inboard end of the tube it to get it to fit flush with the fuselage skin.

And watch the torque

I had to file mine down just a little, but also watch out that you don't torque the nut on the bolt that goes through the block and tube too much as it will distort the tube.

i believe vans has it right, but, what if you slid the delrin block on the tube, put a block of wood on it and gave it a few minor adjustments with the rubber mallet. i think you would soak up the the little bit of metal and save yourself a lot of trouble. I did not come across any build sites that detailed having to cut it...but others will surely chime in. Good luck.
Every time i find an issue...i just put it away for a day or two....lots of help out here and it has saved me making errors.

Mine were long by the same amount. Van's said, "cut'em down". Cut off about .2",with a hack saw; one came out maybe 1/32' short--no problem-- and the other had to be filed some more.

size matters when installing step tubes

I've got one step about 0.25 too long... the other is fine. Will a tubing cutter work?

My tubes were too long. Tubing cutter probably wont work (or likely tubes will dull the cutter). Easy to take a hacksaw and trim down. Trim doesn't need to be perfectly accurate, as long as (pun intended) you don't end up too long....

greg

My tubes were too short. I ended up making spacers from aluminum bar stock.The spacers went between the ribs and the plastic blocks so I would have enough edge distance when I drilled the holes in the tubes.

I was lucky, one of my steps had to be shortened by 1/16", the other was just right. When I see a problem like this, I just fix it, unless it is really out of whack. 1/16 of an inch on a steel pipe is well within the "just fix it" range.

Tracy.

another data point

It looks like the step tubes on both sides are just a bit too long. Here is a photo of mine.

939553073_eLHmX-M.jpg

This is just being held in their by hand, no plastic block yet.
I'll just grind off a bit of the end and get this to fit flush.

Anyone try to use flush rivets on the exterior face?

VANS does not recommend flush rivet in this area. By the time you counter sink the plate, it will become to thin/sharp for the flush rivet. However you might want to think of using screws instead. If they ever crack which they have been known to, the fix process will be much easier with the screws type attachment.

Back