What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step rivets

wirejock

Well Known Member
Which rivets did you use to secure your steps to the fuse?
Bag 927 comes with MSP-42 and LP4-4
I suspect because there's a rib and one has a bit more grip.
I don't really want solid rivets but could do it. I may if can talk Sweetie into some rivet work.

Larry, I used screws and nuts. I wanted it easy to replace when it cracked but the welded gusset fix was invented but I kept with the screws. I can’t remember the size but I think it was about #4 and about 1/2”. I will check if you want when I go to the hangar. I would do it again and I believe easier than riveting would have been.

Step

Larry, I used solid rivets on mine. Had a friend ceracoat them so that when a painted the fuselage the steps and rivets were not painted over. I kinda like the copper head look of those rivets against the white paint.

Dear wife, aka riveting assistant, help shoot them

The bag for that kit has two types of rivets because half of them are for the baggage floor. So whatever the plans spec for the baggage floor, use the others for the step.
I put mine in using AN470, without help, it was OK to do.
Another buddy installed with flush head AN426 and it looks really professional and now I wish I'd done that!

Step

I used solid rivets except for a couple that I had to use pull rivets for. After you finish wrap it with foam or you will have dents on your shin that match mine.

Rivets

Larry, I used solid rivets on mine. Had a friend ceracoat them so that when a painted the fuselage the steps and rivets were not painted over. I kinda like the copper head look of those rivets against the white paint.

Dear wife, aka riveting assistant, help shoot them

You're right. Sweetie killed it. Looks good.
I don't know what I was thinking.
Sorry about the crooked picture.
20230627_144737.jpg

Nope. Plans say either. Just curious why the bag for that kit has two different pull rivets.

Larry, I think the LPs rivets are in there to reinstall the baggage floor. It’s a retrofit kit. I used 470s as mine is still under construction.

Back