What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

step rivets

T.S.

Could anyone share there experience with countersinking the steps and using 426 rivets for a flush appearance? Or is this a bad idea.

T.S.
7 model A

TS-

Great Idea. I have even seen them flush on the inside then countersink them.

So, You can countersink them on the outside or dimple the skin and still countersink them and install from the inside. Would not try this on a QB though.

Good luck,

I've done them both ways. Countersunk on the outside and installed inside with dimpled skins. It's more trouble to install them on the inside, but it is worth the trouble. Really looks nice.
The new "straight" steps on my -6 are installed with the plate inside.

The new "straight" steps on my -6 are installed with the plate inside.

Mel, where can I see this? Do you have a picture????

Warren

I also countersunk the step and used flush rivets. To make a really nice appearance short of mounting from the inside I would recommend that you also round the corners and bevel the edges of the steel plate -- makes for a smooth/clean appearance. Since you are going to have stress at the plate to side skin attach I would not try to fill the seam--leave it as is to avoid a stress crack.

Cheers,

db

Even though I strongly suspected what the answer would be, I first contacted Van's about my plan to install the footsteps using 426 rivets. Sure enough according to Van's, 426 rivets will work just fine.

stress on rivets

db (or others that have gone this route),
Any problems so far with mounting the plate on the exterior with flush rivets? It would be simple at this point of assembly. I am not a heavy weight....
Thanks,
T.S.
7 model A

Thanks for the reply Rick...out comes the drill

TS-

You can just put a doubler plate on the inside. Should work fine. I have a pic of it if I can find it. Yell if you need it.

T.S.,

No problem to date and I have had several 220+ lb. friends hoist themselves up into the 9 on the step. I should mention that I did reconfigure the rivet arrangement to include two more than the plans call for---while maintaining appropriate edge distance. This is probably overkill but it did make me feel better!!

Cheers,

db

flush with doubler

Thanks for the great feedback.
Flush with a doubler it is.

T.S.
7 model A

one more approach

I had to come out of my basement, so I wanted the airplane done and the steps removable. I put doublers inside, used flush rivets (4's if I remeber correctly). That puts all the rivets behind the step plate. I added nutplates to accept 4 AN 525 washer head screws, one in each corner. I think I used -10s. Removable and tidy. Regards, John.

Back