What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step Removal

Gandalf

Well Known Member
For the folks that have finished the RV12, is it fairly easy to change out the steps? I am at the point of installing the step onto the fuselage and I do not want to pause to figure out a color scheme and get the steps powder coated.

Jeff

Leave the steps off for now so that you do not bang your shins while working on the plane. When you eventually do install the steps, you will not be used to them being in the way. Then you will bang your shins for sure. :D
Joe Gores

But Joe, it leaves such a pretty crescent shaped scar, that you can proudly display, that marks you as a builder!

Don't forget to drill a 'weep' hole in the bottom of them too, before you take them to powder coat / final install. Oh, and the furniture tips/caps finish off the ends beautifully :D

I heard, from an un-named source, that capping them off actually causes a 0.0421 knot decrease in calibrated airspeed AND a 0.66 foot increase in take-off distance since the air can no longer flow through the step. Something about increased frontal area.

Maybe I should spend less time at EAA morning coffee and more time building.

Exaggerated claims ....

Come on now guys! The increased speed originally claimed for these caps and based on informed guesswork was only 0.02 kts. These rumours are just getting out of hand!! ;)

Oh yeah!?

I installed venturis in the steps and drilled holes in the sides to meet the throats. Eductor action Adds 0.025 KTAS !

(5 Pinochios!). :)

Thanks for the useful info. Well most of it was useful :). I will plan on not actually installing the steps awaiting approval of rocket assisted steps as an aftermarket upgrade.

I am looking forward to flying my own LSA. Had a great little flight in an immaculate Aeronca Chief LSA. The scariest part was the manual prop start. Leaving the "hold back" rope tied off to the airport fence for later retrieval was a cute trick also.

Jeff

Previous Advice

Jeff,
I think it was Dave Gamble that wrote about getting the steps powder coated after sealing the step with tank sealant. If you read Dave's blog, do NOT do this. Seal after powder coating. (Quite funny though!).
Jim

Jeff,
I think it was Dave Gamble that wrote about getting the steps powder coated after sealing the step with tank sealant. If you read Dave's blog, do NOT do this. Seal after powder coating. (Quite funny though!).
Jim
Yes, if you ever want to be welcome in your powder coater's shop again, do NOT bring them parts with hidden ProSeal in them!

So, I've been wondering for awhile now. Has anyone quantified his/her increase in airspeed with the steps removed and the holes taped over with speed tape?

Back