What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step on RV-9

jthomas

Getting ready to order my fuselage kit and I have seen pictures of the -9 with and without steps. So what are the pros/cons of the steps? How big of a step is it off the wing? For those with it was it worth the extra money?

Thanks

Never missed it on my 9. The distance to step up onto the wing in a 9 is about 40 to 50 centimeters, I always lower the flaps to make things easier and avoid the passenger to step onto the flap. My advise would be steps for a 9A and no steps for a 9:D

It depends on how limber you and your passengers are. I didn't put them on my -9 but a friend is putting them on his after riding in my plane.

It also depends on the length of your legs. My wife & I are both short. I flew my-6 for many years without steps but as we got older, the wing got higher and higher. A few years ago I designed a step that comes straight out of the fuselage just behind the flap. It's very simple since it is one piece and has no welds except for the "plate" and that is inside the fuselage. Much easier to board and deplane.

The 9 flaps move back quite a bit when you put them down, because the hinge point is below the wing. They also don't pivot as much. This makes for more of a step than on the RV's with plane flaps. I have steps on my 9 because I originally built it as a 9A. I would probably install steps if I built another 9. They are very convenient and I can leave me flaps up when I get in and out of the plane.

repair consideration

I installed the steps and would do it again, but would put an access panel in baggage compartment floor to get at the torque tube bolt and maybe use screws/nutplates vice rivets to attach to fuselage skin. This allows easier removal if/when step needs to be removed for weld repair.

Many have experienced cracking of the weld where tube meets plate at fuselage. Crack starts at bottom and works its way around. Search archives for step cracks and you'll find a number of stories, descriptions and repair suggestions.

I'm going to pull my passenger side step off for repair during condition inspection next month before finally getting around to painting in December. Found my passenger step crack starting a little before 100 hour mark but pilot side still looks good at 185 hrs. I think the difference is the exuberence of Young Eagle passengers at times on the passenger side (lighter weight of YE passengers is less of a factor than kid's tendency to "drop" weight onto step even after coaching not to), along with occasional "heavier than FAA standard" passengers. I've looked at a couple -9As locally with same thing - passenger side cracked and pilot side holding up well.

Last edited:
... I think the difference is the exuberence of Young Eagle passengers at times on the passenger side (lighter weight of YE passengers is less of a factor than kid's tendency to "drop" weight onto step even after coaching not to), along with occasional "heavier than FAA standard" passengers. I've looked at a couple -9As locally with same thing - passenger side cracked and pilot side holding up well.
Try coaching your passengers to back down the step. That way the passenger will not "drop" all of their weight on the step but put it on gently, which should reduce the stress on the step.

One other thing, the -9 is taller than the -6 & -7, thus it is a longer stretch to get up on the wing. It is not a bad climb but it can be a challenge.

My dad is 75 and struggles mightily to get in and out of the airplane. My wife is 40, about 5'5 and that first step is pretty big for her. I figure it'll be a big step for me eventually.

So my advice is that if you're asking the question, go ahead and install steps on both sides. You won't be getting younger and your passengers (particularly the ones who are older, shorter, or who don't get in and out of airplanes every day) will appreciate it.

Back