What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step installation

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I find the hole in the skins tight around the tubing for the step. Nothing said about clearencees needed. I would think that there would be some rubbing off, of paint especially on the steel step tubing, and rust forming. Also, what are most doing for the interior of the step for rust protection?
Ron

I had my steps chrome plated

but to protect the aluminum skins from dissimilar metal corrosion, I primed the contact area with a good two part epoxy primer (AKZO from Spruce). Not installed yet, but I'm confident this will do the trick.

Your concern is well founded

When I modified my RV-6A to make the steps removable for racing after 4 years of operation there was surface rust on the steel step mounting plate on the surface incontact with the fuselage skin. My plane is always hangared and the steps were primed prior to installation. I flew for one year pefore painting the plane and it was professionally painted with an Imron process including clear coat. The suggestion of a good epoxy paint sounds good but I must say I am glad mine are now removable. I have one more race this Saturday then I will reinstall them for traveling but I did cleanup the rust and repaint the unexposed after installation surfaces. I recommend installing them with plate nuts and #8 flathead Stainless steel screws but then I gave it my best shot in the original installation as well and that wasn't perfect - just a recommendation.

Bob Axsom

proseal

I made the hole about 1/32 to a 16th bigger than required and put a bunch of proseal on the inside of the mount and especially around the base of the post going into the fuse. when mounted the proseal squeezed into the gap creating a water tight seal.

Back