What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step Bracket PN # 1236 Material

Geico266

Well Known Member
What aluminum alloy is this made out of? I goofed up one set and I would like to just buy the material and make a new set. It is 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 1/8" aluminum angle. Vans pre-drills it for the web attachment, but I can use the old one to match drill it. I could order a new one from Vans, but that will take a week.

I want to make sure I'm using material suited for the application.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

What aluminum alloy is this made out of? I goofed up one set and I would like to just buy the material and make a new set. It is 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 1/8" aluminum angle. Vans pre-drills it for the web attachment, but I can use the old one to match drill it. I could order a new one from Vans, but that will take a week.

I want to make sure I'm using material suited for the application.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

All of the extruded angle in RV's is generally 6061-T6.

I noticed the stuff they sell in the box stores does not have the radius in the inside corner and on the edge. Any idea why? I think it is 20 series material.

I don't know what that material is but I can assure you it is not 6061-T6.
If you can't find the correct material, then you probably should call aircraft spruce or Van's.
If you have any businesses local that sell different grades of steel and aluminum you can probably find it there, but make sure it is the same shape of extrusion that you have now.

The good stuff

You can buy the proper angle from a large metal supply business, but they usually do not want to deal in a small quantity. Likely best to go back to Van's.

John Bender

You can buy the proper angle from a large metal supply business, but they usually do not want to deal in a small quantity. Likely best to go back to Van's.

John Bender

I'll check out the local supply houses. I ordered a replacement last night. :( I just hate waiting a week. It is holding up finishing the fuse. Oh well, no finish kit to even order yet so this will give me time to look for ways to improve what I have done so far.

Thanks all for your in put.

Back