What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step Bolt Access Panels

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I noticed a number of people have put access panels in for their step bolts. I may be over thinking this but would you have to put it directly over the bolt to be able to replace it if need be? Or is it there to inspect during a conditional inspection and tighten if need be? FYI I did order the bushing inserts to help prevent it from smashing.

I made my access panels extend far enough outboard to remove the bolts completely. I wanted to be able to remove the steps during the build so as not to have a shin hazard. On one side I ended up putting an additional panel up the side pannel for clearance.
I also extended enough inboard to allow mounting the com antennas through the same panels.

I'm still building, so no actual experience to confirm it will all work as planned.

All you really need to do to make access reasonable is this:

Once you've drilled your steps, run a 12" long, 1/8" (or whatever) drill bit down through the bolt hole and through the bottom fuselage skin. Then, reverse the process and drill from the bottom all the way up through the baggage compartment skin. Now, you've located where you'll need access. At that point, you can either enlarge the holes and install a 5/8" or 3/4" snap bushing on top and bottom, or you can enlarge the holes later, if the need ever arises.

Fast and simple...

Back