What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stein's Zip-Tie mounts-long term experience?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I have been planning to use Stein's zip-tie mounts for wiring in locations where there would be no potential for control interference. (I'll use adels in those locations.) However, since the mounts don't have any provision for mechanical fastening, does anyone have first-hand experience about how well the adhesive holds up after a season or two of heat?

I've been tentatively planning on peeling the adhesive off and going with the Bob Nuckolls Shoo-Goo on bare aluminum to make sure they stay down, but am wondering if this is necessary, or if there is a better approach.

Thanks.

I have several of the zip tie mounts that have been doing well for years and some come off quickly.

I think the 2 important factors are surface preparation and environment.

The ones that have lasted for me are on primed and painted surfaces that have never been exposed to oil or wax and are not subject to wild temp swings.

Most that have fallen off I am pretty certain did so because of inadeqaute surface prep on my part. I do not think the sjoe goo would do any better on a properly cleaned surface.

soak a few in MEK overnite, the double stick tape will fall off. Prep the surface, glue them on with Goop or proseal. The Tyrap will break first.
Note--Tyrap the ones with the metal lock tab, well the others ties I only use for my garbage bags:cool:

Let's go to the big orange aircraft supply store!

I have seen zipties at Home Depot that have a built in tab with a screw hole in it. Just get those and screw or rivet them in place.

Amazing Goop

soak a few in MEK overnite, the double stick tape will fall off. Prep the surface, glue them on with Goop or proseal. The Tyrap will break first.
Note--Tyrap the ones with the metal lock tab, well the others ties I only use for my garbage bags:cool:

I did almost the same but I left the double stick on then I lightly sanded the surface. I wiped it with alcohol, stuck on the mount, then went around the perimeter with Amazing Goop. That stuff IS amazing! I'm not flying yet but several that I've put on over a year ago are still sticking well.

I have seen zipties at Home Depot that have a built in tab with a screw hole in it. Just get those and screw or rivet them in place.

Just a word of caution on those. What first may appear as a slick and nice way of using a zip-tie will have you cussing and swearing later down the road when you try to get to them with a screwdriver, etc.. after the zip tie breaks away from the mount (and they will). Or...if you want to clip them and add wires. They may be easy to install now, but make sure if you do put these in that they are just as easy to get to after the plane is flying.

Been there done that and I'd run not walk away from them. I just had the pleasure of working under a panel recently installing an autopilot for a customer in an LSA who went crazy with zip tie mounts/bases. Sure was easy just to clip the tie and install a new one after running more wires.

Anyway, everyone else info on the bases / mounts is pretty good so I don't have much to add there.

Otherwise it's my 2 cents as usual and just my opinion!

Cheers,
Stein

Like the others, I removed the two sided sticky bases, cleaned them and the aluminum with alcohol, but then used Goop Automotive Trim adhesive to attach them. The problem is you have to be careful not to fill the holes where the zip-ties go with Goop. Otherwise replacing them later is a challenge. Not impossible, just a challenge.

The problem with the sticky pad that comes on them is that as the heat builds up inside an airplane, they will come unglued.

Back