What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel mounting hardware on radio trays OK?

John Courte

Well Known Member
After a pile of ferrite beads and slightly more intelligent wire routing, I've reduced the MGL Odyssey's chainsaw buzz in the COMM circuit a lot. But I can still hear it with the GNS430W's squelch off. It's not horrible, I can still pick up SMO ATIS 2 miles away from inside the shop, but I'd love to get it to the point where zero squelch is just white noise.

One thing I thought of: I'm using regular AN flush mount screws to attach the radio trays to the panel, subframe, and reinforcing angle. Is it possible that hardware is acting like a bunch of little antennas and conducting EFIS RF into the radio?

If that's the case, what's the recommended hardware for attaching radio trays to the airframe?

Cheers,
-John

Okay to Use

John,

I can't imagine that AN hardware would cause you any problems. The entire panel when mounted is hopefully at chassis ground potential.

I just recently fired up my panel. Although testing is limited as I have only one antenna connected, everything seems to work. I did notice that the GNS430W puts out some form of cyclical (at 1 HZ) low level buzz that's coupling into my comm audio.

Doubt I'd hear it with the engine running, but I'll see if I can figure it out, unless some other knowledgeable person out there has a clue.

Don

Back