What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steam to Glass RV-6 panel

jthocker

Well Known Member
A friend came to me with his recently purchased RV6 and asked if I could help him with his Grand Rapids EIS.

It rolled into the hangar looking like this:

It rolled out looking like this:

Thanks to Stein for taking the old panel and digitizing it, then cutting the new panel around the existing substructure cutouts and support ribs.

I am offering my services for panel "makeovers" like this, and intend to become a paid advertiser as soon as I can think of what to call my business!;)

Nice Job!

I would like to (eventually) replace my -6 panel with a new, properly cut, panel if I ever stop adding and removing stuff. I didn't know Stein offered this service by taking an existing panel and making a new one to fit. What did that cost? Did you have to do much to make the new panel fit?

Also, what're the blue and black knobs next to and above the Trig?

Neil

Great changes

I'm sure your friend will really enjoy the new panel. Just a thought for those considering this sort of change to an older -6, one of the things I liked best about out panel make-over of Mikey (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24139&highlight=Mikey) was removing the vertical center post and putting the throttle, etc., controls on the panel. Much more comfortable for x-country flying. Probably not an issue to those who fly short, local flights but I think it's a real bonus for anyone who installs a G-430.

MTC,

796 mounting

Hi Jon, very nice panel. I like the way that you mounted the Garmin 796. Do you have any pics/info on the mounting of the 796. Thanks alot!

Steam vs. Glass weight

I'm curious as to how much weight (total) was saved (or used) taking into account the new instrumentation as well as any changes to the electrical system (e.g. backup battery, etc.) which were done.

Don,

We re- weighed the plane and it came in 8 lbs, less than what was on the original wt and balance.

Panel

The best thing I ever did with the most honest man I have ever met. Great job great price great turn around. John is a walking manual on RV's and very very good. I would very highly recommend him for any RV updates or repair.
Mike Ballee

The best thing I ever did with the most honest man I have ever met. Great job great price great turn around. John is a walking manual on RV's and very very good. I would very highly recommend him for any RV updates or repair.
Mike Ballee

Thanks for the endorsement Mike!

How much downtime was involved and how many hours did you have in the project?

Kyle,
I had the plane for 2 months, I had a "mandate" to make the panel look good.
I didn't like how the first painting and labeling turned out, so it was stripped, repainted, then waited for decals to come from Stein. The decals were then applied and then clear coat after that. That setback, cost us about 2 extra weeks.
I was going to keep track of hours but then lost interest!;)

Suggestion "Instrumental Aviation"

A friend came to me with his recently purchased RV6 and asked if I could help him with his Grand Rapids EIS.

It rolled into the hangar looking like this:

It rolled out looking like this:

Thanks to Stein for taking the old panel and digitizing it, then cutting the new panel around the existing substructure cutouts and support ribs.

I am offering my services for panel "makeovers" like this, and intend to become a paid advertiser as soon as I can think of what to call my business!;)

Suggestion "Instrumental Aviation"

Last edited:
Back