What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static system drain

jacksel

Well Known Member
Are people generally installing drain valves in the pitot or static systems? It looks to me like, any way you route the lines, there's going to be a low point in the system. Which, I would assume requires a drain valve in the event of condensed moisture. If so, does someone sell a prefabricated drain which can be easily installed? Or is there a way to install the pitot and static lines so they drain through the ports? At least with the pitot line, it looks like the drawings have it following the wing spar DOWN, and then, presumably, at some point it will have to proceed UP and into the panel.

Here's what I did for a static drain/alternate static source.

FUSE_0012.JPG

Self draining.

We made ours self-draining by tee-ing at the top of the fuselage bulkhead and running the static line under the upper center longeron, then down to the tunnel and forward.

Stick toothpicks in the static ports when you wash/rinse with a water hose.

Best,

You can put a T in the system at the low point and then run and plug the end of a plastic tube. There should not be a lot of water collecting in the static system except if you direct higher pressure water directly at the port. The T is much lighter than a valve.

Back