What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port Line Routing

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I have searched all the ?Static Port? posts I could find here, but can?t find my answer so here goes my question?

The static port line runs along the longeron?
How does one route and penetrate the 705 bulkhead (the one just behind the seat backs)? AND
Then forward from there to the instruments, but still keep the static port line hidden?

I have a tip up canopy so there is a big canopy latch angle there in the corner.

Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

I went through the tunnel

I know some people are opposed to this routing, because it creates a low point for water to accumulate in the static line, but I routed it through the tunnel between the seats. I hope this doesn't end up costing me!

See http://www.bashingaluminum.com/StaticPorts/StaticPorts.html

If you can ignore my cute young daughter and concentrate on the static line, you'll see how I routed it.

Note: I recommend against using those self-adhesive cable anchors to attach the tubing to the fuselage. I will eventually replace them. They don't stay on, even though we cleaned the metal with alcohol. A month after these photos were taken, several had popped off. In most cases, they did not "unstick" from the metal: the adhesive pad "unstuck" from the plastic cable anchor. I did the ritual "pull test" after I stuck them on, and they appeared to be rock-solid, but they suck.

Static line routing

I don't have any pictures handy, but I just drilled a hole (just big enough for the tube) in the 705 bulkhead. It is high and outboard enough that it doesn't interfere with the canopy latch and then the tube runs under the canopy deck channel all the way forward. I didn't use a bushing through the 705 because the material being penetrated is thick enough that the risk of cutting the poly tube is nil (IMHO).

There was an article in the RVator a few months back that suggested the exact same thing as Dennis did. Or if you're really worried about chafing, buy some poly tubing that just slips over the static line, glue it in place, and drill the hole just a little larger.

That's a great idea Martin, using child labor. I should have sent my 10 year old daughter into the tail cone to take care of the last few details back there.

Last edited:
Davepar said:
That's a great idea Martin, using child labor. I should have sent my 10 year old daughter into the tail cone to take care of the last few details back there.

Yeah, once I installed the elevator pushrod it was hard for me to fit back there. She loves it...sometimes it's hard to get her out. I'll have to do a thorough preflight search for dolls, little shoes, and old peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

The static line RVator article is posted in the files section on the Yahoo group.

BTW, the RVator articles index (to solve the "yeah, it was in RVator but I don't remember exactly when" problem) has also just been updated and is in the files section.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I think I will take Dennis' and the RVator's suggested route, small hole in thick angle, just big enough for the line to pass.

Regards
Rudi

Back