What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static port hole diameter?

KenB

I'm hoping someone can make a quick measurement for me. I installed the Van's Deluxe Static Ports on my RV9. The fuselage recently came back from the paint shop. Prior to painting, he painter plugged both ports with toothpicks, but inadvertantly broke them off while polishing between coats of paint. The holes now are plugged with a bit of wood and painted over. They're beautiful, but useless as static ports.

I need to drill out the holes. I haven't been able to determine the diameter of the holes and don't want to be wrong. If you installed the Van's Deluxe Static ports, would you mind sliding drill bits in to figure out which one just fits the hole and letting me know? I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Ken

I'm hoping someone can make a quick measurement for me. I installed the Van's Deluxe Static Ports on my RV9. The fuselage recently came back from the paint shop. Prior to painting, he painter plugged both ports with toothpicks, but inadvertantly broke them off while polishing between coats of paint. The holes now are plugged with a bit of wood and painted over. They're beautiful, but useless as static ports.

I need to drill out the holes. I haven't been able to determine the diameter of the holes and don't want to be wrong. If you installed the Van's Deluxe Static ports, would you mind sliding drill bits in to figure out which one just fits the hole and letting me know? I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Ken
If you drill them out, you will likely get fodder inside the static system. Just remove the line from the inside and push out the broken toothpicks.

I would consider pushing the wood out vs drilling it. Less chance of damage and letting drilling shavings get stuck in the tubing.

If you drill them out, you will likely get fodder inside the static system. Just remove the line from the inside and push out the broken toothpicks.

Yep, thought of that. I've already detached the static tubes. The surface tension of the paint or perhaps swelling of the toothpicks is resisting efforts to push them out.

Yep, thought of that. I've already detached the static tubes. The surface tension of the paint or perhaps swelling of the toothpicks is resisting efforts to push them out.
Slide continuously larger drill bits into the inside hole until you find a size slightly smaller than a snug fit, then tap it with a plastic hammer until the toothpick comes out.

Sorry for your issue, but it is a simple fix.
You'll have a unique story. "I was once AOG because of a toothpick!"

Now that the tubes are disconnected try some shop air. I have used a nitrogen bottle to clear a totally plugged oil vent line. 2,000 psi will make it happen. No chance of changing the size of the orifice.

Back