What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static line question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
My kit came with a 1/4 inch OD poly tubing to run through the fuse to the dash area. My question is, is this the size needed to hook to the instruments (steam gages) or should it be 1/4 inch ID. I searched and could not find anything on this. The reason I ask is that there seem to be a lot of fittings available for 1/4 ID but very few 1/4 OD. I do not have my gages yet. What kind of fitting goes in an altimeter, vsi etc?
Thanks in advance!

sounds about right

Charles,

since none of the experts have answered your question yet...I'll just say 1/4 OD sound about right to me, but I'm not in the shop so I can't check right now. Hang in there, the answer commeth!

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Hi Charles,

I/4" OD is the right size for your static line. This runs from both your vents located in rear fuselage up to your instrument panel. Be sure to drill the hole/s through the bracket/s supporting your seat backs on the sides prior to assembling this together otherwise it is difficult to do later. Additionally you will need to decide if you want to/need to run the static lines up both sides of the fuselage to provide a balanced pair and increase your capacity, particularly if you have lots of end users. (EFIS, AutoPilot, Transponder encoder, etc.)

Cheers from down under,

Greg (RV-7A FADEC IOF-360)

My kit came with a 1/4 inch OD poly tubing to run through the fuse to the dash area. The reason I ask is that there seem to be a lot of fittings available for 1/4 ID but very few 1/4 OD.

Go to your NAPA autoparts store and ask for AIRQUIP fittings. They are used on 1/4" od tubing.

Visit Avery Tools..

....website. They have the neatest pitot-static kit with all the correct fittings for the lines and the instruments. All for around $80 IIRC. They provide really well made fittings that you merely push the line into. When you want to remove it, you simply push down on a little collar to release.

Regards,

My kit came with a 1/4 inch OD poly tubing to run through the fuse to the dash area. My question is, is this the size needed to hook to the instruments (steam gages) or should it be 1/4 inch ID. I searched and could not find anything on this. The reason I ask is that there seem to be a lot of fittings available for 1/4 ID but very few 1/4 OD. I do not have my gages yet. What kind of fitting goes in an altimeter, vsi etc?
Thanks in advance!

You got good advice from everyone. Airspeed indicators (including EFIS units) require two lines, one static from the side(s) of the fuse, and one pressure from the pitot tube. Altimeters, vsi's, etc. only require one line, static - from the side. You can use a manifold device which will allow you to "split" the single incoming static line into multiple lines for the various inputs. Stein sells an outstanding static/pitot system kit. His fittings allow you to install and easily remove the fittings without cutting or extra clamps etc. Pricey but, you get what you pay for. Check 'em out:
http://steinair.com/pitot.htm

no discussion of static lines would be complete

...without saying what an awesome kit SafeAir has for pitot static lines. It comes with all the fittings that work for a typical panel and you can buy more if needed.

In regard to what I asked in this thread, what hole is in the back of gages such as the vsi, airspeed, etc? Is it a 1/8 inch pipe thread or something else?
Thanks!

In regard to what I asked in this thread, what hole is in the back of gages such as the vsi, airspeed, etc? Is it a 1/8 inch pipe thread or something else?
Thanks!

Those ports are 1/8" pipe thread. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. carry the fittings to transition to the 1/4" OD tubing.

Back