What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting RV-12 Fuel Tank - a "heads up" a "gripe" and a question

Keith Williams

Well Known Member
First, the "heads up". When starting on the fuel tank I noticed that the main skin has extra holes that are not on the plans. It turns out that these are for clips that are in the plans revision Vans made 11/21/11. My kit was shipped 12/12/11, but with new skin and clips but the old plans. So, I download the new plans, go to Office Max, have them printed on the proper paper and get back to work.

An hour later I'm prepping tank parts and have moved on to 37-05. Hmmm. The parts do not match the new plans (no large hole in the tank top). Fortunately I had not tossed the old plans pages. It appears that Van's has changed the method for assembling the filler neck parts. The flange and top skin I have go with the old plans, not the current version.

I do not know what combination of parts and plans I have here. So I just have to work my way through the old and new plans, identify the changes, and then check my parts to see which version I have. So that's the "heads up" for those at about this stage.

Now the "gripe". From years of working around manufacturing I know configuration and change management is tough, Van's is a lean organization and I can live with a some grief. My "gripe" is that on plans revisions Van's does not spend the few minutes it would take to briefly describe what has changed in the revision. I have written Van's about this and was told: "Like Jeppesen and many others, we've found that a simple print-and-replace is better than trying to track individual revisions.".

How hard can it be to write a sentence or two describing what changed with each plans revision? Based on what I know about the November tank change so far (don't know what else I will find), the sentence could read: This revision changes page 37-02, to reflect the addition of attachment clips and revised tank attachment bolts and pages 37-05 and 37-06 to correct the call-out of washers on the sight gauge and show changes in the installation of the tank filler attachment.

Now my "question". On 37-05 the instructions for the sight gauge say to remove a protective film from plastic the material. I have been picking at the corners with a sharp knife to get the removal started. Unable to get any thing to come loose. Material is amber colored and it looks like there is a film on it. Suggestions on removal? Or, maybe, the material has changed?

Keith Williams, Milan, IL

Keith, my recall of the tank assembly is dim, but I seem to remember a similar problem. Following a revision I was sent a different glass and backing plate, and it had no film (amber or otherwise) that I can remember. Not at the airport now , but will check to see if I made any notes on next visit. I am certain someone will will have a better memory than mine and will speak on it.
Dick Seiders.

Just a Suggestion

You might want at this stage to consider riveting on a fitting for the return line. A check of my kitlog will show you why I wish I had done that at your stage.

Last edited:
Plans Revisions

In my profession, we "cloud" the changes in order to track the changes. We then tag it with a revision number and date. But hey, maybe building an airplane is easier than designing and having commercial buildings built.

Just my $.02...

Van's appears to be just 'STUBBORN'

I love the way that Van's does things for the most part, but in this case, Van's has earned some criticism.

This subject has come up over and over - not just on the RV-12 build site.

Since before WW-2, plans updates have been noted 'in various ways' ON THE PLANS. Someone there at Van's just doesn't want to do it. WHY?

It's un-Van's like (in my opinion) to not show plans updates ON THE PLAN ITSELF. Not indicating the changes ON THE PLANS leads to unnecessary errors and waste of time.

The desirability of showing plans changes ON THE PLANS from the builder's point of view is obvious. This has been brought up so many times that (from the lack of action to change their ways) that it is pretty obvious that Vans' is just resisting and stubborn. IMHO, Van's needs to make this change.

Why not?

Just spoke with Van's technical help

To wrap this one up - Van's says if the film is not obvious there is none - so I am going ahead and installing my amber sight glass. Thanks Dick and woodsideraff.

And Don, thanks for the reminder about the clip on return line. I have the return fitting in already but do not have the top on yet so it will be easy to change. Will take a look.

Had a little talk with person at Van's about plans revisions. They seem set with the current practices - sounded like they have heard my story a few times but do not plan to change. Not a biggee for me, but it would be so easy to just provide a brief explanation.

In the meantime - back to the sealant and MEK.

Keith Williams
Milan, IL
RV6 built 1989-99, still flying.
Loving this RV12 project.

Back