What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

starting issue & humming noise resolved

dromuald

Thought I would pass this on for reference. I have an RV8 with an IO-360 engine equipped with a skytek starter. For the last year or so the engine would occasionally crank noticeably slower than normal, like the battery was not fully charged. Most times it would crank normally. I tested the battery under load and confirmed that the battery was good. After washing the aircraft this spring I got some water in the intake and I had to crank the motor continuously for 20 seconds or so multiple times to get it to start. I was careful to let the starter cool between attempts. Ever since that incident there was an electrical humming noise coming from the engine compartment everytime I cranked the motor. And as before, occasionally the engine would crank slowly at first but it always started. I didn't have the means to measure the voltage at the various points in the start circuit so instead of getting the starter rebuilt I rolled the dice on the solenoid. I found one on ebay, it is essentially a Ford solenoid, part number SW3, for $10. Everthing is now back to normal, no humming & normal cranking. My mechanic friend was willing to bet me the solenoid was not the problem, but it has been a month and I am happy to report after dozens of starts it is still normal. So if you ever hear that humming noise....

Owning a good digital volt meter is a really good thing. They can be found anywhere from Harbor Freight to Fry's Electronics.
If you have trouble in the future... some measurements can save time.
Glad the solenoid was the culprit though. Just a big electromagnet with a hunk of metal inside. The arc of current often chews up the metal and leaves some damage on many of the high current starts. If you saw open the old one... it will make more sense to you.
They are cheap and simple... unless of course you are buying from Cessna or Cirrus etc. Then the ten dollar part can be not so cheap.
Even Harbor F will give away volt and current meters often on coupons.
Good holiday coming up and go fly !!!

Back