What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter

texdog

Well Known Member
I'm making progress, thanks to all of you. My RV6A doesn't have a starter solenoid and it has a key starter, Sky-Tec starter. It has been blowing the 10 amp fuse about every 4 or 5 starts. I'm told that I can put a heavy duty push button starter and that will solve the problem or I can add a starter solenoid. Anyone know if the starter cable is hot all the time even if the starter isn't engaged, it just waits for a ground to start. Is this a safety issue? I save weight if I don't add the solenoid and it keeps the firewall uncluttered.
Thanks!

If someone wired your starter direct through the keyswitch without a relay, your keyswitch needs to come apart for inspection. Most starter buttons are also using a relay. A starter button for use without a relay will be a big honker and needs at least 4 ga. wire in and out.

First, take a look at the Skytec website and the wiring diagrams. Right now it sounds like you are using the solenoid attached to the starter. Most likely there is a hot wire from your battery to that solenoid. Some people don't like this but that is what the diagram shows. To actuate that solenoid and provide power to the starter motor requires more amperage than the keystart is capable of transmitting on an ongoing basis. States so on the wiring diagram, you may want to open up your switch for inspection. A separate pushbutton for starting does need to be beefy (Steinair has 'em) but is only actuating the solenoid, does not need #4 wire, I think mine is #14.
Since you did not build this, you need to understand the way it is wired now. You need to understand why it is not working properly now. You need to see what is reccomended by either Van's (separate solenoid bypassing the Skytec) or Skytec or copy something else that does work. This is not difficult but does require some detective work on your part.

Back