What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

starter switch question

Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
does anyone know what the "DC" load capacity of the starter contact points inside the switch, for the "ACS" vs. "bendix" switches? We are putting one of the fly-weight X drive starters on and it has it's own solenoid. If we can not use the firewall starter solenoid so much for the better. Thanks yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

I don't think you can use an ACS type ignition switch without a firewall type starter solenoid. The solenoid on the starter does more than just make a circuit, it also throws a bendix type gear out to engage the engine ring gear. As a matter of fact, the SkyTec web site has a document that shows different wiring examples http://www.skytecair.com/Wiring_diag.htm and they specifically state an ACS type switch cannot be used directly wired to the starter inbuilt solenoid. You need a 30 amp rated switch to directly control the starter inbuilt solenoid and it appears the ACS switch is rated at 6 Amps.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the link. I see their way of jumping the starter solenoid at the starter and retaining the firewall starter solenoid in the circuit. That will work for this new little starter. I thought of putting a push button in the panel but not the jumper. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Back