What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Problems

N24YW

Well Known Member
I went out to the airport today and removed my wheel pants. I landed at a couple of grass stripps that had snow on them yet. I shut down on one of them and started the motor up after about one half hour. I went to a paved runway shut down again and when I tried to start all it would do was growl at me. I got out and turned the prop it seemed to have the bendix engaged but when I tried the starter it would growl and barely turn the prop. So I moved the tail wheel into a tie down hole and hand proped the motor. It started right up and the bendix kicked out. I flew home shut down and tried the starter again. Same thing, I quess I will take it apart tommorow. I bought the starter used off of ebay. 100 bucks got 250 hours out of it. It is on a 0-360 149 tooth fly wheel. Just thought I would post to see if anyone could give me a heads up if they have seen this happen before.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6

Last edited:
Obviously, the starter may have gone bad but make sure you have adequate voltage and current, at the starter, before condemning it.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

There is a reason it was sold on e-Bay.

Time to have it rebuilt or get a new one. Look in your area for a shop that rebuilds starters / generators. They are few & far between, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Found the problem

I took the starter off today and disassembled it. The amerture teeth were totally gone. I found a local rebuild shop that was able to order the parts for me. I checked with Kelley airspace but the only sell to distributors. Here is a link to the parts list from Kelley. I should be back in business for about 150 bucks. I hope

Jim
Burlington Iowa
RV-6

http://www.kellyaerospace.com/electrical_charts/Starter/MZ.pdf

If you need one sooner you can borrow mine

Jim,
I've got one ready to go. It's an MZ-4206 (MZ-4222)
I rebuilt it earlier this year, new bendix too.

You're welcome to use it for awhile. All it would cost you is the freight.

Mark

camera41207109mf9.jpg

Starter

Mark thankyou for the offer but with me working this weekend and Christmas I will wait for the parts to come in. I do appreciate the offer. That is what makes the RV people great. Thanks again.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6 260 hours

Back