What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter model to use

PeteP

Well Known Member
Looking to buy a starter for my engine. I see Vans recommends a Skytech 149-12LS but I was wondering if the newer Skytech inline 149Nl will fit. I like the lower starting current and it appears to be a more robust starter. I am using a O320E3D with the standard carb induction system which I believe is referred to as the snorkle system by Skytech. I have talked to Skytech but would like to hear from someone who has installed a NL starter with success before I drop the $$.

Pete

I changed out from a LS to NL last year. No regrets. Carbureted O-360. I have no idea if it fits on your engine.

Verify the number of teeth on your flywheel (149 or 122).

Last edited:
Suggest the NL.

The shear pin is a good feature. I broke one the other day, my fault, not the starter. Point is nothing else broke.

I also like the easy access to the big motor contacts for cleaning and inspection.

The NL can be wired without a starter contactor, using just a 20 amp pushbutton or via a small 30 amp relay triggered by a stick button circuit with a separate kill.

http://www.skytecair.com/images/PDF/Rewiring NL Solenoid.pdf

Back