What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Engagement Issue

tectweaker

Well Known Member
Trying to figure out a starter issue. The external starter solenoid is clicking and not engaging the starter. I have the lycoming\skytec 31a22110 (149-12HT ) starter. I installed a new external solenoid and still just a click.

I presume that there is another internal to the starter solenoid (in the firewall) which might be an issue or shall i look elsewhere? The battery voltage looks okay. Borg Warner S5613 Solenoid ?

Checked Ground Connections etc and they look okay as well.

Trying to figure out a starter issue. The external starter solenoid is clicking and not engaging the starter. I have the lycoming\skytec 31a22110 (149-12HT ) starter. I installed a new external solenoid and still just a click.

I presume that there is another internal to the starter solenoid (in the firewall) which might be an issue or shall i look elsewhere? The battery voltage looks okay. Borg Warner S5613 Solenoid ?

Checked Ground Connections etc and they look okay as well.
Has the starter been working recently?
In the good old days, it was not uncommon for the solenoid to go bad and not complete the circuit. Make sure the mags are grounded, you could take a jumper cable and go across the two large bolts on the solenoid. You'll get sparks but if it energizes the starter, you have a bad solenoid.
Hope this helps, and be careful. You don't want the engine starting while you're under the plane.
Good luck,
Paul

Does the HT model has a replaceable solenoid like LS from skytec? I see many entries for the LS. I will check the grounding.

Did you replace this?

download.jpeg

Or something else? Just trying to get clarity as Solenoid & Relay are oversubscribed and misused terms ;)

...And is there a jumper wire installed (as per figure 2-1)? how about a 16-18awg wire from the "S" terminal on the CH/L-ES24015 relay to the starter?

Back