What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Dilemma

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
My Prestolite starter is being troublesome. The starter is spinning but the bendix isn't engaging. I doubt that the bendix is gunked up because I recently cleaned and lubed it. Given that the starter has 900 hours and (?) 1500 starts on it, I figure it is probably due for a rebuild with new brushes, etc. There is a local shop that will probably do it for a hundred bucks.

The kicker is that I need the weight up front or I'd go with a new, lightweight starter.

The alternative to the Prestolite is probably a Skytec inline starter for $450 or so after taxes, shipping, etc. I'd also have to mount a Landoll ring on the flywheel to maintain W/B. For those of you with the Landoll ring and a wood prop, is that a decent combination?

So here I sit, wondering which direction to take...

Thoughts?

I've got a Landoll ring on my flywheel, and a Skytech lightweight starter and it seems to be OK for my plane. Yeah I wish I had a bit more weight on the nose, but so far the aft CG issue has been manageable as long as I don't put too much stuff in the baggage compartment. Switching to the Sensenich ground adjustable prop did add 3 more lbs onto the nose, but when I recalculated the W&B, it only shifted the CG forward a tiny amount. I'd say go for the NL starter... it's a good one. I put one on my old Cherokee 140 and it was a vast improvement in starting power over the old Prestolite boat anchor.

EDIT: BTW, the additional inertia given to the flywheel by the Landoll ring really does make the engine/prop combo run smooth and IMHO, helps a bit with starting up too. Finding one may be a bit of a challenge since Landoll is retired and out of business for a couple years now, and I don't know if anyone else has begun manufacturing anything like it again.

Last edited:
Back