What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Started tail kit for RV-10

falcon900guy

Well Known Member
Recieved my emp/tail kit bout 10 days ago and able to build at a friend house. He has built an RV, so he has experience and tools for the build. We got started pretty strong on the vertical stab and rudder, then I had a flight taking me on the road for a few days. The rudder was put together with clekos, then taken apart for debur, primer, and dimpled skin. That's when I went out of town so ready to get home to attack. I'm just trying to figure out how to pay for this baby, so it's probably going to take a few years. I'm excited about being on this site so I can ask questions about the build along the way to learn how to make mine work. Let's get it on!

Looking forward to the adventure. I fly usually about one week, maybe two weeks a month so lots of time at home. I'm ready to get back to do so more work on the tail section.

Welcome! With those consecutive time blocks you seem to have available I think you will make quick progress. It will be hard to just set everything down for months at at time while waiting on finances. Maybe you can sell a kidney or something?? :eek:

Welcome to VAF!

Kenny, welcome to VAF, and the growing number of 10 builders:D

You are gonna love the 10.

Welcome Kenny! I was a corporate pilot when my wife and I started building our -10. I used to take a small bag with parts that needed deburring and the necessary tools on trips. Got a few funny looks from co-pilots when I said I would be in my room deburring tailcone parts, but it kept me out of trouble.:D

Welcome Kenny! I was a corporate pilot when my wife and I started building our -10. I used to take a small bag with parts that needed deburring and the necessary tools on trips. Got a few funny looks from co-pilots when I said I would be in my room deburring tailcone parts, but it kept me out of trouble.:D

I did the same thing as I was working in Hong Kong and building in UK. Most of the parts for the tail feathers and wing ribs were cut, deburred and fluted in my flat in Hong Kong.

All went backwards and forwards in my suitcase. Now I am keeping out of trouble in hotel rooms by writing my POH. Gives me something to do in Anchorage at 4 in the morning rather than watching the tele-marketing :D

i would love to take some parts with me, but we will use the airline for the next few months to get to our plane, so i won't be able to take a lot with me. i have been studying my international knowledge for our future trips over to europe. can't wait to get home.

Kenny, welcome to VAF, and the growing number of 10 builders:D

You are gonna love the 10.

we were going to build a 14 but the wife wanted a 4 seater so we can take other people with us, so that's what we are building. i'm jacked up about the build, but i'm even more excited about the knowledge to learn from this forum and guys like you!

kenny

I did the same thing as I was working in Hong Kong and building in UK. Most of the parts for the tail feathers and wing ribs were cut, deburred and fluted in my flat in Hong Kong.

All went backwards and forwards in my suitcase. Now I am keeping out of trouble in hotel rooms by writing my POH. Gives me something to do in Anchorage at 4 in the morning rather than watching the tele-marketing :D

thats dedication right there.

Welcome! With those consecutive time blocks you seem to have available I think you will make quick progress. It will be hard to just set everything down for months at at time while waiting on finances. Maybe you can sell a kidney or something?? :eek:

i might go for the "something" versus selling a kidney. hope not to wait to long between purchases. i think we are pretty solid up to the finishing kit and firewall forward kit. the guys i'm building with say i should get the fuselage next but would like to get wings with the fuselage. at that point, i will have to do some creative financing.

Awesome!

That is great! I just got my kit on Monday and just started the control surface practice kit today. Great you have someone there to mentor you. I made a few mistakes today but that is what the practice kits are for.

We can be Build Buddies! Should be around the same part of our builds at the same time!

Contrats on the -10, she is a wonderful bird.

John

That is great! I just got my kit on Monday and just started the control surface practice kit today. Great you have someone there to mentor you. I made a few mistakes today but that is what the practice kits are for.

We can be Build Buddies! Should be around the same part of our builds at the same time!

Contrats on the -10, she is a wonderful bird.

John

im not saying we haven't made a few mistakes. had to drill a few rivets out, and i cut a stiffener on inside of rudder a little short. had to call vans for a new one.

Yep

Kenny, I'm starting my 6th year of RV-10 ownership and I can tell you that every time I fly her, I fall deeper in love. What an exceptional airplane!

Best,

Kenny, I'm starting my 6th year of RV-10 ownership and I can tell you that every time I fly her, I fall deeper in love. What an exceptional airplane!

Best,

i got into town yesterday afternoon, and we worked a little on the rudder and almost done. close to starting on the horizontal stab and elevator. if things go well, we will finish the whole emp/tail kit in a couple more weeks if i stay in town.
i can't wait to fly this baby. did you by any chance put on an electric rudder trim?

Pay as you go

I was lucky with my corporate job at the time of my build. Now I too fly a Falcon 900 and the international trips take more time away from the build. I have 500 hours on my RV-10 and started a Just aircraft SuperSTOL. I was worried about the money but somehow the motivation kept it going to the right place. Have fun in the build, you will probably miss it when you are flying!

Back