What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Started on the Wiring Harness Kit

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Yep, I can spell "electrical" and that's about it. So I'm doing Van's wiring harness kit. I am going to document my work on this part every step of the way, since there may be other brave souls out yonder that know as little as I do. However, I do have a counselor friend who can take his car apart and put it back together. He has offered to oversee my work.

1st thing - drill them holes:

20100914_01.jpg

Here's the rest of the goodies for last night's accomplishments:

http://www.smittysrv.com/more_stuff.asp?ID=679

The gap is...

...for the ribs on a tip-up canopy panel.

I presume you are building a slider....:)

Switch/Breaker Kit is here

This kit corresponds to the Wiring Harness kit that I received a while back. I should have ordered them at same time. I also should have ordered the Ignition Switch as well. This Switch/Breaker Kit (ES WD-SW) comes with five 10 amp switches, one 1 amp switch, one master switch, one 5 amp breaker, one 10 amp breaker and one 60 amp breaker. For some strange reason, the Switch/Breaker kit only has on one 5 amp switch in it and you need two. The wiring plans show two 5 amp switches. Weird, huh?

20100919_01.jpg

Here I've mounted the switches and breakers. These dudes are only hand-tight. You'll notice a hole in the panel where the missing 5 amp switch goes. I am going to do a hand-tight install through-out this whole wiring experiment until I feel confident that I have everything where it goes. Then I will go back and tighten everything, also putting on the shrink fit tubing and try out my electrical system. Oh, by the way, how did I know which way is up? The switch stem has the number of amps stamped on the end.

20100919_02.jpg

More pictures and work done here...

Installed the terminal block

Here are 2 UHMV bars that come with the wiring harness kit. The thin one holds all the screws which act as terminals to provide the positive power to the flaps, radios, panel lights, etc. The thicker one provides protection between the positively charged heads of the screws and the subpanel, to which it is mounted. Pretty darn slick and simple design by Van. Even I can understand this setup.

20100926_06.jpg

More pictures and detail here

Ran the wires through the fuselage

Now, this is fun part. The drawings are a little confusing because there are many different configurations for each model of aircraft. I just had to figure out which drawings fit the best for my setup.

This is the first step in the harness hanging adventure. These wires are hung according to the wiring drawing. Each wire has an identifying tag label on it.

20101020_01.jpg

This end of the harness will be hooked to the switches and breakers after the whole harness has been run throughout the airframe.

20101020_02.jpg

For the rest of the install and more pics, go here.

Back