What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starlink Mini

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
Anybody used one of these in an RV yet? Seen a few pictures of them mounted in Cirrus and 172's, trying to think how it might be done in an RV. Looks like it will work at our speeds, and $50/month ain't bad if you're going to be spending a lot of time in the air.

Chris

How big is the antenna?

Dave
17"x13"x3"

1724376945008.png

I thought the mini was designed to stop working when it detects motion to keep users from using it mobile. Trent Palmer installed Starlink in his Kitfox with the antenna mounted in the skylight.

SpaceX’s website is confusing, but it looks like the dimensions that Chris mentioned might be for the package that everything comes in, and Peter’s numbers are the size of the unit itself.

I’d be a little paranoid of having that much RF next to my cranium in the -7’s cockpit but if Elon ever comes out with a Micro or Nano with an exterior-mount antenna, I’d be interested. I’d give up some mb/sec for a smaller form factor.

My $0.02.

ds

I thought the mini was designed to stop working when it detects motion to keep users from using it mobile. Trent Palmer installed Starlink in his Kitfox with the antenna mounted in the skylight.
I’m not sure if his was the mini or not, but the new “roam” plan specifically allows in-motion use. A cirrus pilot said it worked for him at over 200 kts

Starlink support states the 50GB base plan for the mini supports in motion data up to 250 mph.

I had a Google Hangouts call with a friend who was connected via Starlink Mini this week. He was north of Las Vegas at 11500 and the quality was excellent. Sadly I was on the ground.

I have one on order, will report back next week. I plan to try mounting it under the window in the baggage area (tipup; somehow clamped to the rollbar-to-baggage-bulkhead brace. Also considered inside the left wingtip -- it should fit, and the fiberglass itself won't interfere, but might be too many obstructions nearby (lights, the outboard wing rib).

I have one on order, will report back next week. I plan to try mounting it under the window in the baggage area (tipup; somehow clamped to the rollbar-to-baggage-bulkhead brace. Also considered inside the left wingtip -- it should fit, and the fiberglass itself won't interfere, but might be too many obstructions nearby (lights, the outboard wing rib).
I’m contemplating the LH wingtip as well (if it fits) but I’ll need to test whether it interferes with the VOR antenna performance.

Interested to hear and see what people come up with. I had considered a swinging shelf that could swing up from the side of the baggage compartment when needed, and fold down flush with the side when not in use.

SpaceX’s website is confusing, but it looks like the dimensions that Chris mentioned might be for the package that everything comes in, and Peter’s numbers are the size of the unit itself.

I’d be a little paranoid of having that much RF next to my cranium in the -7’s cockpit but if Elon ever comes out with a Micro or Nano with an exterior-mount antenna, I’d be interested. I’d give up some mb/sec for a smaller form factor.

My $0.02.

ds

....But sitting on top of a >150W transponder antenna is somehow better? ;)

Back