What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standby compass

tullow

Hello to all,
I'm sure this question has already come up before but I haven't found anything with the "search " function. Has anybody installed their standby compass ( liquid filled type) on the glareshield on a tip-up and has this caused any problems from a maintenance/reliability point of view seeing as how the compass is at an angle of about 60deg. with the canopy open. I could ,of course, mount it in the panel but the only available space is on the right-hand side above the map box with parallax problems if I ever needed to use it. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated
Mike ( RV7 in final assembly stages)

Mike,
I just bought a S.I.R.S. Navigator and I plan to mount it exactly as you decribe unless someone talks me out of it.

Mike,

I see you are in Paris so your rules may be different than ours.

When I built my -9, I bought but never installed a compass. My panel as a Dynon D100 EFIS in it so that works as my compass. The Garmin 496 is the back up for the Dynon so I felt I didn't need a third direction pointer.

In the US, our regs state we only need "magnetic direction indicator" and like the AirBus', the Dynon covers that requirement.

To help with your answer, I didn't see any problem with the compass on the tip-up glair shield when I was test fitting it.

Thanks for you advice ,regulations here require a standby compass even if you have a remote magnetic sensor(which I don't have) so I'll go ahead and install it on the center of the glareshield. By the way Bill I flew Airbuses for the final 8 yrs. before my retirement in 2006 and yes we had a standard liquid standby compass on the glareshield despite having triple heading/attitude systems. Never had to use it, but we checked its indications before every departure .

Thanks again

Mike

RV7- almost there!

Back