What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standby alternator SB1B-14 to GAD 27 discrete input

storkeye

Friend
I'm considering fitting the SB1B-14 standby voltage regulator. Pin 5 of the SB1B illuminates an incandescent bulb when the standby alternator is active.

It looks like pin 5 grounds the bulb to illuminate it.

If I wire pin 5 to a discrete input on the GAD 27 (set for active high) would that show an alert on the G3X when the standby alternator is active?

Because the SB1B is an automatic standby regulator that turns on when the main alternator is not supplying power it would be good to know when it is active.

Any wiring suggestions (or diagrams) would be very welcome.

I suspect the output is an open collector meaning the output simply floats when it is not pulled up to power (by the bulb as suggested). The output is active low so I believe you would need a pullup resistor to power as an alternative to the bulb on the output. Then set your G3x input to active low.

This should work fine using any GEA 24 discrete input or discrete inputs 1-7 on the GAD 27, no pull-up resistor required. If you have a variable-voltage ground power supply you can verify the operation without the engine running.

Consider this:
Avoid substituting an LED indicator light for the supplied incandescent warning light. The SB 1 B-14 is designed to drive an incandescent light only; an LED will not provide satisfactory results (viz. it will remain constantly illuminated, regardless of whether there is an actual over-voltage or low-voltage condition).

https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/sb1b-14_technical_manual_revC.pdf

The standby regulator will come online at 13 V.
You could just set an alarm on the G3X at 12,9 V.
Then read the amps.

Good luck

Pins 1,2 and 7.

I'm considering fitting the SB1B-14 standby voltage regulator. Pin 5 of the SB1B illuminates an incandescent bulb when the standby alternator is active.

It looks like pin 5 grounds the bulb to illuminate it.

If I wire pin 5 to a discrete input on the GAD 27 (set for active high) would that show an alert on the G3X when the standby alternator is active?

Because the SB1B is an automatic standby regulator that turns on when the main alternator is not supplying power it would be good to know when it is active.

Any wiring suggestions (or diagrams) would be very welcome.

Along with what Matt B advises you could use pins 1,2 and 7 to a Hall effect sensor to give you amps the back-up alternator is providing. Just wire to the GEA 24 (probably the GAD 27 also has inputs you can use) and set an alarm for anything over say a nominal draw to activate a CAS alert. (Either audible or visual or both)

Note VPX advises not to use a SB1B-14 voltage regulator in their set-up.

Thank you

Right I think I've got it, thanks everyone.

So basically I should be able to connect pin 5 of the SB1B directly to discrete inputs 1-7 of the GAD 27. I've run out of inputs on the GEA but I have a few spare on the GAD 27.

If that doesn't work I could try putting a resistor between the two. Probably a normal 400 k-ohm, 1/2 watt.

I prefer to have an annunciation instead of a hall effect current sensor as it's less to think about when it happens. "Standby Alt Active" instantly explains what's going on. "Low volts" CAS alert might have multiple reasons.

I don't have a VPX so that's not a problem either.

Back