What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard Fuel/brake Pressures

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I just finished my fuselage fuel and brake lines and would like to pressure test them. What are the standard operating pressures in these lines?

I used 100 psi on the brake lines. I installed a pressure gauge in line on the top of the brake reservoir. I pressurized the system and let it set for several hours without noticing any pressure loss. I put soapy water around all the fittings just in case. I would not hesitate to do the same pressure with the fuel lines, but I am not ready yet to test it.
Bill

Fuel pres before boost pump= <1 psi; after boost pump= 25-32 psi.

Brakes= 500 psi + or -.

No pres test on mine, but did find one small fuel and brake line leak.

Agree with Bill on test pressures.

Is it safe to test the line to 30 or 60 psi with the pump (andair) connected inline?

Wayne how did you find the leak? Soap water or fluid leak?

Very small amount of red 83282 hyd fluid near gear mount fitting on inside after two weeks. No air entered other than at reservoir and master cylinders are still both very firm.

Fuel smell in cockpit while setting avionics. Went right to the fitting in front of boost pump with a combustible gas leak detector and no boost pump. Turned on pump- 32 psi- one drop every four minutes. Tightened both one half of a flat. No red, blue, smell or electronic detection afterwards. My leak detector will pick it up way before you can smell it or see blue. It is going to have its probe in my tunnel on the first few flights. Find an hvac guy to come by and check all of your fuel tank joints and lines. Don't worry about fuel filler caps. You may also sense a little near throttle/mixture shafts at fuel servo. Anywhere else...investigate. Do this electronic leak check at every annual too. Just remember these are extra sensitive to find leaks before they get to the explosive limits. You must allow a few days for fumes to dissipate before rechecking a leak repair.

On fuel pressure test...talk to fuel pump/fuel pressure transducer/fuel flow transducer manufacturer or distributor and get the max pressure limits and stay 25% below the lowest of all of those in your fuel system.

Find an hvac guy to come by and check all of your fuel tank joints and lines.

Hey, that's a great idea. I know this HVAC guy that has a RV-10 at PMH. :D How far north is your Phase I area going to be? Although I suspect you'll be done with Phase I before I'm ready to fly.

bob

My phase 1 is 75 nm radius N of Ohio River. No overflight of populated areas unless required during takeoff and landing. I will be finished in Jan so should be able to help out when you are ready to fuel/run pump.

Waiting for good wx after Thanksgiving.

Back