What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stalling an RV-7 (video)

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
In my son's ongoing quest to burn as much of my gas money as possible, I took him flying on Saturday. He's been getting some stick time, but he's always been nervous about getting down into the slow flight and stall practice. So when he came begging to go flying, I agreed, with the requirement that he take the stick for some stalls. (I think he did a great job for his first stalls!):D

Here's the link.

First Stall

Congratulations, Casey!!
You looked like a pro in the video and very relaxed. You'll be flying on your own in no time. I think you're lucky to have a great instructor, also.
Keep going.
Steve Dickinson
Federal Way

let it develop a bit more...

You might try letting the stall develop a bit more before recovering... a well developed stall, especially simulating a turn to final, can be very informative. In my experience it takes purposeful effort to actually get a good spin going rather than a deep stall.

Thats the plan!

Start with straight ahead, level stalls with an immediate recovery, then move to power on, turning, deep stalls, everything!!! All with time and practice! Great video Dad!

I did not know the -7 comes with a HUD that tells you (3...2...1..) when the stall is coming! Very cool! Can I get one for the -12? ;)

Your son looks like a pro. Keep up the good work.

Congrats!

I am also a young man that has gotten involved in aviation through my dad building an RV. For me it happened to be in my basement for almost 14 years...but anyway I understand what its like for your dad to finally give you full control of his airplane. I know i felt pretty awesome when my dad started letting me do stalls and wingovers in our -6! Now he's lettin me fly it from take-off to landing. Keep up the good work. It seems you're going to be a great pilot! Good luck in your endeavors my friend!

Back