What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stall warning?

Daver

Well Known Member
I'm trying to gather up and install everything I think I'll need (or want) in my wings so I can close them up and get ready to build a fuselage.

Now I'm down to a stall warning.

Do you -9 drivers have a stall warning device?

I'm not sure they're necessary given the stall characteristics of the -9 wing.

But I'd like to hear from some "experts".

Do the cheap vane type they sell at Aircraft Spruce work? And where exactly
should it be installed (on the leading edge far enough out from the prop disk I would assume)?

Or maybe an AOA is the better route to go.....

Any comments/words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

You might want to do a search on this topic. It is a hot one and there are several threads about it.

I haven't flown yet so you can see that I am no expert but I installed the Advanced Flight Systems AOA Sport. I don't think they are much more than the stall warning vane, buzzer etc. I talked to Gus at Van's and that is what he suggested. He said they are installing AOA's on all the 10's I believe. It was not too difficult to install and should give more information than a stall warning vane. Good Luck!!!!

Stall Warning

I bought a dynon pitot tube which is designed to work with the AOA portion of their display and I ran two plastic lines from it fbefore closing up the wings for this purpose. I now may not go with the DYNON since I have a friend who is developing an AOA display that will work with anything that provides a pressure differential to measure. Hopefully this will be available by next summer when I "should" be flying. My buddy with a flying 9A has a DYNON but not their pitot so simply flys by airspeed and says the a/c has some telling clues that it gives out prior to a stall break.

Doug Lomheim
90116, FWF

I have about 75 hours on a 9A and have the Dynon with AOA. I like it, although it isn't necessary. I had my radio out and it disabled the Dynon output, so I flew a couple of weeks without the stall warning. Given the comparison, I like having the stall warning. Flaps up, the 9 gives a nice warning. Flaps down, it isn't quite as pronounced, although still it lets you know. Given the limited warning with flaps down (especially when there is some turbulence to mask the buffet) I would recommend having some sort of warning. If it only prevents one botched landing or low level stall, it could be worth it!

Bob Kelly

I have both a stall vane and the Dynon AOA. The stall vane works off the master bus, and the Dynon works off of the avionics bus.

I prefer the Dynon indicator and find the vane to be unecessary.

Vern

LRI

Go to http://www.liftreserve.com/
I have one of these and it is great. You set the guage so the airplane stalls just into the red and reguardless of conditions, as long as the needle is not in the red the plane does not stall. I use it for approach and landing instead of the ASI as it takes into concideration load, CG, etc. I bought one after I talked to another 9 driver and he told me how great is was.
Not to expensive and very reliable.
RV-9A flying and having fun.

Stall Warning?

After flying my 9-A for a little more than a year and countless practiced stalls, the airplane gives you plenty of warning before it stalls and recovers quickly when it does (if you do your part).

The AOA is pretty useless as a warning device for a typical stall since most stalls (accident related) are unintentional. :eek: If you are looking at the AOA, you aren't going to stall! It is when you aren't paying attention to anything - including what the airplane is telling you - or doing something inadvisable like a steep-bank turn at low altitude (checking out the chick in the hot tub) and you tighten the turn just a bit more or step on the top rudder - that the unintentional part takes over and you smack the ground (even in airplanes equipped with stall warning devices).

That being said, I do have the Dynon AOA installed. Properly calibrated, it is an outstanding aid in short field operations. It will allow you to fly the final approach at a lower speed than you would otherwise. It or any of the competitive products will provide you with a bit more information than you would have otherwise and are worth the investment.

As for a stall warning device - the whole airplane is an excellent one - if you listen to it..... :rolleyes:

keith
N355RV

Keith, I assume that you don't have the audio warning for the Dynon AoA connected. This provides the indication that you need to prevent inadvertant stalls. Highly recomended. Dynon also uses the audio warning to indicate deviation from planned altitude using the altitude bug.

V

Daver said:
Do the cheap vane type they sell at Aircraft Spruce work? And where exactly
should it be installed (on the leading edge far enough out from the prop disk I would assume)?

I bought the Reddish Stall Warner from ACS - it's the inexpensive stall tab + microswitch like they have on Grummans.

The problem is that there are two type, Mark I and Mark II. (and ACS only lists one type) Apparently, you need the Mark II for the RV-9 wing. I got the Mark I, of course. It looks like the Mark I curvature doesn't match the 9's leading edge very well. I haven't heard back from ACS, I need to bug them again. Has anyone else with a 9 used the Reddish Stall Warner?

Andy

Andrew, I used the Reddish device, but had to fabricate and glue on an adaptor plate that matched the leading edge curve of my 9A. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the proper fit.

Van's offers one for the RV-10 that might fit... check with them.

Vern

Van's RV-10 has the AOA from AFS. Van, who has thousands of hours of flight time couldn't seem to praise it enough. If Van thinks so highly of it, it's good enough for me & I am putting one in my 9A.

vlittle said:
Andrew, I used the Reddish device, but had to fabricate and glue on an adaptor plate that matched the leading edge curve of my 9A. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the proper fit.

Van's offers one for the RV-10 that might fit... check with them.

Vern

Vern,
Thanks for the tip- the RV-10 vane looks pretty good- it attaches to the rib, so it doesn;'t have those big round-head philips sticking out. I emailed Van's to see what they say.

Here is a great builder site (Mike Howe) showing the RV-10 vane and it even has scans of the mounting instructions:
http://www.etigerrr.com/Wings/september_25_2004.htm

I'm not sure why they put in the big access panel when it seems all you need to is take off the wing tips and there is good access through the lightening holes. *EDIT: I see now that they put it on the *inboard* i.e., tank side of the leading edge, not sure why. But that explains the access panel. Should be ok to mount it further outboard, no?

Andy

Last edited:
I did not have one on my -9a

You can fight almost any plane into a stall f you want to.

I have to say it is hard to find an aircraft that is MORE forgiving than the -9 though, and then it mushes, nothing funny.

I know nothing of your skills so really cant advise but for me it is the last plane I would put a stall warning on since it has one called the stick. I did not have one on mine.

Back