What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning System for 9A QB

Mike Miller

What is the best choice for a stall warning system (horn) for an RV-9A QB? What about placement? Does one come with a 9A kit? My previous RV-10 kit came with one. I have read throught the plans and found no mention of the stall warning installation/system. Am I missing something (maybe I need to read more thoroughly)?

Also, would an AOA from Dynon or Advanced be a better choice?

Thanks,

Mike

Nothing comes with the kit....

I am still in the wing-building phase, but I am leaning towards a Dynon system to where I would use their AOA. I am using Safe Air's pitot/AOA mount and their plumbing kit.

You can obtain stall vanes (not sure of the source), but I think the AOA is the best way to go. Bill R. is flying with the Dynon AOA and he might be able to chime in with his impressions now that he has been flying with it for a while.

Mike,

There is no stall warning included in the -9 kits. In fact, I'm surprised to hear they are included in the -10.

I have the Dynon AoA in my -9 and it seems to work fine. The truth is, you don't really need one but it is nice to have.

The stalls are a non-event in the -9.

I have the Reddish stall warner on my 9A, plus the Dynon AOA.

In the beginning, the Dynon AOA was not useful as a stall warning because it had no alarm functionality. Over the years, Dynon has substantially improved this by adding audio and increasing the indicator's size.

Based on this, I think the stall vane is redundant. The progressive warning of the Dynon is more useful.

Vern

If you are going to do any short field work look into an LRI (lift remaining indicator) They are much more accurate than a stall warning, and you can fly low speed approaches by them. Very accurate and useful.

Back