What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warning access panel needed?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I'm building my leading edges and will be using the AFS angle of attack system. As a result I'm not installing the stock stall buzzer setup. But I'm wondering if there is a need to install that inspection plate anyway.

Throw a couple of csk rivets in the leading edge holes or

do as some and have both in case one goes out. I just have the factory stall warning on mine.

I'm using the the afs aoa also so I couldn't see a reason to put the access panel in unless you were going to put the stall warning in also. Just a side note, I also put leading edge HID's on both wings and when I got my AOA in I noticed that the recommended area for the ports were right behind the lights which will probably create uneven airflow over the ports :mad:so I have to give them a buzz on Monday to see if I can move the ports inboard a couple of inches more. Just something to keep in mind if you are putting leading edge lights in,, you may want to move them inboard one bay.

Funny, I'm in the same situation with the AOA. Just made a post over at AFS asking what should be done with the AOA ports.

The Vans stall warning is easy to put in and not much effort to hook up. I have both. In the three years I have been flying I have had to recalibrate my AOA twice.....don't know why. Always is nice to have a backup for a critical piece of equipment......

I'm not going with the LE lights but the AFS AOA manual, page 33, has a drawing that states:
aileron area of wing span-wise is optimum span location
That's just under where it reminds you that the ports should be offset 2" to 4" span-wise. I take it to mean that you can move the ports inboard or outboard, even by a bay or so, and both statements together seem to indicate that exact span location is not critical within certain constraints.

Last edited:
Right but in the appendix I gets more specific for each aircraft, 9 1/2"on top and 7 1/2" on the bottom measuring form the outboard edge of the skin.

Yes, those are 'best' positions for RVs(or Lancairs, if you wandered into the wrong section:D). It also tells you to check the website for the most current data; those locations are taken from field data and considered 'proven'. If you were building another model or make, you'd have to fall back to the rough position given on the drawing. Given a rough idea of what the airflow will be like off of that LE lens, I'd say you probably want to move over a bay. Of course, no harm in getting the word straight from AFS; they may be able to help you relocate the ports finer than my rough guesstimate.

Been there - no worries

I had the same question about the AFS AOA location behind the Duckworks leading edge lights. Here is my email thread to/from Rob:

(bottom line - no interference, put them where the AOA says to)

The light will not interfere with it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

sent from my iPhone

On May 19, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Bryan Douglass wrote:

> Rob -
>
> I'm getting ready to install the AOA ports on the wing per the locations in the Appendix. I noticed that the location is a few inches aft of the Duckworks HID leading edge light opening. I want to make sure the possible small interruption in flow from the light opening won't negatively impact the AOA ports. I suspect the ports are very sensitive, so I could move them inboard 6 inches or more if there is any concern about the possible disruption of laminar flow in the neighborhood/downwind of the light openings.
>
> Bryan Douglass

Wow I'm amazed at that considering that the instructions mentioned something about protruding rivets possibly causing a disruption of airflow . Well that's the answer I was looking for, thanks.

Back