What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warner

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me what the stall warner template (VA-195) is for? I thought it was to locate the mounting holes and the holes used to cut the vane slot, but there are already holes in the wing skin.

Thanks,

Tom

The template aligns with several existing holes, then you drill new holes and make the cutout. The holes you drill to mount the rib that the vane assembly mounts to was off just a tad for me, so you might want to delay drilling those. Kind of confusing until after you have done it and have figured it out.

But, but, but....

holes already exist in the wing skin - I don't see what drilling through the template holes into the wing skin holes is going to do... :confused:

You need to drill holes where the cutout plate will go, then drill the holes for the nut plates that are installed in the wing skin. There shouldn't be such holes in your wing skin now! The existing holes are for the clecos so can align the template prior to drilling and cutting.

The template bends around the leading edge, and you drill thru the guide holes to make the holes for that small rib assembly.

So, in brief, you cleco the template to some existing holes in the wing skin to align the template, then you mark the cutout area and drill the holes for the nut plates and screws. You remove the template, cut out the access hole, final drill for the nut plates, then put the template back to find the holes for the rib assembly.

Hope this helps.

OK. OK

I think I see what's going on here. My leading edge skin already has the square access hatch hole cut in it and all the holes drilled around that hole for the access hatch doubler. Do I still need that template?

Template

I did not need the template for the newer leading edge skin that already has the inspection cover and vane cut out.

Oh, I get it now! I have an older kit before Van's started including the stall warning system as standard. If guess your wing skins come predrilled and precut.

Jeff is right.

It is exact, as Jeff said, the template is useless for the newest kits which are already prepunched for the stall warner kit. I believe the template is more for retrofitting older kit.

Have a good day

Back